New
Find
Notify
Tools

8-40 Scope Mount Screw ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have a source for 8-40 screws with a T-15 Fillister head? Brownells appears to have only T-10 heads but I would prefer T-15 so as to match the Leupold ring screws.

I'm going to the larger screws on a 416 Rem that hopefully will go to Africa in 2003, and I would prefer not to have to carry an entire tool box with me.

Thanks, Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Order the Leupold 8-40 from Brownells (page 282 Catalog no. 54) or call Leupold. They are T-15 and are stronger than the T-10's that Brownells sells, regardless of the speech Brownells gives in their catalog about why they selected T-10 for the 8-40 screw. My biggest complaint with the T-10 screws is the darn T-10 bits are very easy to break!

I put 8-40's in all scope bases and most sights.

Sometimes you will run into hardness when drilling out the old 6-48 threads. Appears that both Rem and Win drill & tap first, then heat treat. The threads get pretty hard and can be rough on drills. Slow speed and cutting oil when drilling! It's best to pull the barrel and set the receiver up in a vertical mill to get everything square and to avoid drilling into the barrel threads for the front screw. I have a special fixture I made for aligning and holding the receiver in the mill. Careful tapping, use sharp taps and good cutting oil, it is very easy to break the tap.

You will also need a no. 19 drill and the fillister head counterbore in order to properly modify the bases for the screws.

------------------
Currently in Exile on the Beautiful Olympic Peninsula of Washington State.

My Warden sometimes allows me to respond to email. NEW Address is rifles@earthlink.net

***********Jail Flash*******
Web site under construction: http://home.earthlink.net/~rifles/

[This message has been edited by John Ricks (edited 01-19-2002).]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, John.

If I had spent as much time looking as I did posting, I might have found them!

And I don't remember if I ever thanked you for your help on the barrel flush system. I took your pictures, modified the design a bit to better match what I found in my scrap pile and whittled one out. Worked like a charm!

Thanks for taking the time to help out. I know these type of deals don't pay very good.

Much obliged, Joe.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea, muzzle flush is the only way to go. I was chambering a 220 Wilson Arrow today, the coolant flow sure makes it easy.

Everybody raise a cold one for L.E. Wilson, he was one of the greatest.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All right John and Max, this is the 21 century and we now have a Torx head screws...and we no longer use much black powder...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Huh????????????????

<Kerry.S>
posted
Hey john
Unless the rifle was made out of 8620 the threads will be hard no matter when they heat treat. 416 410 and 4140 all through harden. So the threads will be hard.
Kerry