Find
Notify
Tools

Nickel-plated brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted
I put this in reloading then realized that the expertise to answer the question might be here in gunsmithing so ...

Strange question but:

I like nickel-plated brass but as far as I know it has never been available in 600NE.

Is there someone who could take clean cases and apply nickel plating? These would have to be useable and reloadable after the plating.

No real reason except I like it.

Thanks and stay well

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
could be done .. will change dimensions a wee bit, most importantly at the primer.

cadwell? sells kits

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39706 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
could be done .. will change dimensions a wee bit, most importantly at the primer.

cadwell? sells kits

Good point about the primer pockets - hadn't thought about that.
Thanks jeffe

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I know that you said that you want Nickel-plated brass because you like it, but with expensive brass, dies and rifle(like 600NE) I would think you might be better off with plain cases.

I say this because the cases themselves would most likely last through many reloading, but the nickle plating will begin to fail at some point. The flaking nickle could scratch your dies and the chambers.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Jason,

No doubt you're right on all counts.

Thanks for yet another reason to save my money tu2

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Nickel Plating also makes the brass crack easier
Not sure exactly why but It does indeed fail sooner then plain brass that's for sure.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Have posted this before but these answers to questions on the Remington website provide credible information on nickel plated cases.

What is the thickness of the nickel plating on the R-P nickel-plated brass?

The nickel plating is typically only a few ten thousandths of an inch thick. Prior to the first loading, the inside of the case mouth should be chamfered slightly to remove the plating that builds up due to electrical potential on the edge. This will allow easier seating of the bullets and will not cause scuffing of the bullet’s jacket.

Does the nickel plating on brass increase the case length?

The plating doesn’t affect the overall length to any degree of significance. The plating also eliminates the oxidation which causes the brass to tarnish. However, since the plating is a little harder than the brass and the brass surface is etched slightly to hold the nickel, case life is typically a little shorter than with a plain brass case.

Posts: 3913 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Thanks eagle27. I have plenty of nickel-plated brass in many other calibers and never noticed shorter case life but it makes sense that it would.

Still thinking about it - there seem to be a few plating businesses in NJ - but being the communist State that it is, I need to be careful how I approach such places in here. Next think I know, I'd have my safe raided and guns confiscated.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:

cadwell? sells kits

Thanks jeffe

That's why they make hammers and Lee Loaders. If you're going to the expense of plating your own brass anyway, I'd be tempted to have a few cases gold plated. What the hell? Might as well have some REAL hunting bling!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:

cadwell? sells kits

Thanks jeffe

That's why they make hammers and Lee Loaders. If you're going to the expense of plating your own brass anyway, I'd be tempted to have a few cases gold plated. What the hell? Might as well have some REAL hunting bling!

Great idea!

I'll melt down my gold teeth caps and there we go!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CCMDOC,
You have a PM.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
You could do electroless nickel in the garage or work shop

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
... The plating also eliminates the oxidation which causes the brass to tarnish. ...
Actually, the Nickle Plated Cases will also Tarnish over time. The only benefit I've had with the Nickle(Cadmium) Plated Cases is being able to locate 45ACPs on the ground a bit easier. Also agree with the potential for Flaking and then Scratching the Die.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote