Find
Notify
Tools

cheek piece is too big
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
I don't like the size of the cheekpiece. May do a Brno 21 size.

Need to do:
Sand, Sand Sand
recoil pad
contour TG

Posts: 6399 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get rid of that lousy schnable while you're at it~ To see a truer profile view get the camera lens down lower.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1789 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I concur. She looks a little pregnant.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How does it come to the shoulder.

When you snap it up does you eye end up in the right place.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Peanut is staying. There is a light blue pen mark where my cheek would be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The configuration of the schnable is butt ugly.

Posts: 707 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I agree that the cheekpiece is too large. If you reduce its size, I think you will want to keep the bottom of it parallel with the toe line of the stock.

I don't think the schnabel is too bad except for the extra rear lip. It needs to be removed.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That feature is called the "Doppelt Schnabel". I am surprised all you classic stock makers have never heard of it. RJ is bringing back an obscure classic German stock design feature. Ugly as a butt however.
Cheek piece? Whatever you like from that to none. I actually line none just as well.

Posts: 17121 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Brno 21/22 cheek pieces seem a bit small for my taste. But, the shadow line looks to be too low especially in the rear end. Maybe draw a line 1 inch below your pencil line to see how it looks.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5111 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I won't comment on the cheek piece, except to say that in my experience, the more you slim that stock up (including the cheek piece), the bigger and deeper the grip is going to appear. To my eye, it's already out of proportion/balance as is the grip cap and from here on in, just about any change to the rest of the stock will magnify that disparity.

The stock has a really close (to the trigger) grip with a very tight radius - it would work better with DST. Yet the grip is big and deep which is odd to me especially on a slimmer stock. Odd when combined with a "close" and tight grip and on a stock which attempts to impart a broadly Germanic flavour. If you have short fingers, a short palm length but very wide palms it would make more sense to me (gun fit trumps style).

The butt is very deep from the nose of the comb down to behind the grip cap because of this. If you raise the bottom line of the cheek piece this aspect will look more obvious IMO.

I also share a dislike of the Schnabel treatment, but they are not easy to get "right".

And don't forget opinions are like the X-ring on a Texas heart shot opportunity. So many stockers are gagworthy fashion sheep. Don't let me ruin your willingness to explore your own style.

Posts: 101 | Location: Tasmania | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Only 1/4" removed from the bottom of the cheekpiece, but all the shadow line is gone. I really like the looks and no change in usability. Just have to plane it down a bit.

Baco scraper and barrel channel gunline scraper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Night and day, I like it.

Posts: 707 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Much improved cheekpiece, nice. Here is a BRNO M-21H from the backside (I was photographing the pad install). It is nice if the points point at each other but difficult to accomplish.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1789 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Man that is very square. Nice pad.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SDH:
Much improved cheekpiece, nice. Here is a BRNO M-21H from the backside (I was photographing the pad install). It is nice if the points point at each other but difficult to accomplish.
QUOTE]

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
tu2

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Why the plugs in the Pachmayr Old English Decelerator pad, I wasn't aware Pachmayr supplied pads with plugs to cover the attaching screw holes?
They provide instructions for fitting up their decelerator pads so the screw holes are invisible.

I guess the plug covers does replicate the Silver pad fitting style, their pads and fitting I'm not a fan of, hard rubber and ratty looking plugs that get rattier over time.

The reshaped cheek piece does look much better, nice work.

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Why the plugs in the Pachmayr Old English Decelerator pad, I wasn't aware Pachmayr supplied pads with plugs to cover the attaching screw holes?
They provide instructions for fitting up their decelerator pads so the screw holes are invisible.

I guess the plug covers does replicate the Silver pad fitting style, their pads and fitting I'm not a fan of, hard rubber and ratty looking plugs that get rattier over time.

I don't think it's a Pachmayer pad.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A thin metal grip cap would likely look much better than the thick wood cap. Also extend the grip as much as you can as well as reduce its diameter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am really enjoying your stock making journey.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcraig:
quote:

Zoom OP's image, you'll see it is a "Decelerator". Here's same pad fitted to my Mauser 404, screw holes invisible but presumably OP wanted and made plugs?

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Whether that cheekpiece is really too big may depend on what sights you are going to use above it.

It seems to me that the so-called classic butt of the past few decades only works with a scope when the comb is reasonably thick, effectively lifting your face up. It may be that a cheekpiece wide at the bottom will also cause the shooter to engage with it farther down his cheek, or lift his face higher on it, achieving the same thing.

Posts: 4966 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rcraig:
quote:

Zoom OP's image, you'll see it is a "Decelerator". Here's same pad fitted to my Mauser 404, screw holes invisible but presumably OP wanted and made plugs?

Nice job.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like your cheek piece but add a small shadow line for a more classic look.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote