Find
Notify
Tools

Turning down a hammer-forged barrel.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I have a Winchester Model 70 Stainless in .375 H&H and the barrel is in my opinion, way too heavy. I am contemplating turning it to a lighter contour, but am wondering whether this will adversely affect accuracy due to altering of the stresses induced from the hammer-forging process. I am interested in real-world experience, though since this is AR I know that I will get a lot of arm-chair theory thrown in. popcorn

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seen it done on a HB Sako 75 in 6mm PPC, lost a lot of metal. Shot tiny groups before and after. I assume they are profiled at the factory after hammering and stress relieving so taking more off shouldn't be an issue.
Regards,
Metal.

Posts: 640 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only thing I've read about CHF barrels is that when you remove metal the bore will actually constrict in size rather than opening up like a button rifled barrel. This would most likely only be an extremely small amount. I don't think you'll see any accuracy difference.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I don't deal in arm-chair theory; I only report on things I have actually done. And I have done this, actually on a M70 375 barrel, from the 1980s; it shot fine. I didn't shoot it before machining on it. They machine them at the factory, after hammer forging too.
Don't get it too hot. The worst barrel I ever turned was not hammer forged,it was made from extruded bar, cut rifled; it turned into a small banana after turning, but it still shot great.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Were the non-tang Ruger 77 MKII hammer forged? I took a factory 338Wmag and had the barrel turned and shortened 2". Accuracy before and after were the same. Even when the new contour was far from smooth and even.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, and before that they used Wilson, buttoned, barrels, of varying quality.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be careful how far you go with this. Saw enough proof of light weight stainless barrels failing a extremely low temp while I lived in WI.

Kreiger makes SS barrels all heavier than CM conterparts

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I don't turn many barrels anymore. I no longer have bluing tanks to reblue them after turning and in this day and age people buy what they want and don't try to bastardize existing guns like we used to do with the old Springfields, Mausers and Enfields. Before the advent of modern, stress relived steels barrels used to do a lot of kinky stuff when they were turned or cut down. Now days they are pretty stable and seldom give trouble. If you have something made from the 1980s forward, odds are it will be smooth sailing. The older stuff was kind of a crap shoot and one or two out of ten would show a bit of measurable warp. There is a reason that gunsmiths and barrel makers all had those windlass looking barrel presses back in the day. I haven't seen one of those antediluvian pipe squishers in fifteen years or more. Now days when barrels start looking to one side or another it's generally because some clown attempts to do triple salchow, leading into a double axle with a toe loop with their quad and catches a handlebar and does a lip stand.

coffee

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
speerchucker

That's pretty cool, I've never heard it described that way.

Steve......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve E.:
speerchucker

That's pretty cool, I've never heard it described that way.

Steve......

I'm VERY, descriptive !

coffee

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
I don't turn many barrels anymore. I no longer have bluing tanks to reblue them after turning and in this day and age people buy what they want and don't try to bastardize existing guns like we used to do with the old Springfields, Mausers and Enfields. Before the advent of modern, stress relived steels barrels used to do a lot of kinky stuff when they were turned or cut down. Now days they are pretty stable and seldom give trouble. If you have something made from the 1980s forward, odds are it will be smooth sailing. The older stuff was kind of a crap shoot and one or two out of ten would show a bit of measurable warp. There is a reason that gunsmiths and barrel makers all had those windlass looking barrel presses back in the day. I haven't seen one of those antediluvian pipe squishers in fifteen years or more. Now days when barrels start looking to one side or another it's generally because some clown attempts to do triple salchow, leading into a double axle with a toe loop with their quad and catches a handlebar and does a lip stand.

yeah what he said sofa

coffee

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
I don't turn many barrels anymore. I no longer have bluing tanks to reblue them ......."
coffee

Make you some PVC pipe steamers for $20 and re-kindle your practice.

Bob
www.rustblue.com

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nnnaaawww thanks. If you're doing it right, life should get less stressful as you get older. I quite rust bluing 25 years ago. It was a bigger headache than caustic bluing. I quit caustic bluing 10 years back. After 25 years of trying to explain to people why you can't blue a gun for $50, I finally said fawk-em. After 25 years of whining, stainless steel has become mighty sporty and attractive to me. If they want it black, they can take it to one of the kids who play with powder coat, cera coat, diamond coat, coaty coat or painty coat in their garage and for $35, they will make it black.

popcorn LOL

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
loud-n-boomer
I have the very same rifle you mentioned. Mine is extremely accurate however it is very heavy and I've often thought I'd use it more if it were lighter.
The other day I dropped it off at my gunsmith (Kevin Weaver) he is turning it down to .625" and shortening to 22" then adding a standing leaf rear and banded ramp front sight.
When it returns to me (most likely February) I will post results.
I too am curious as to the effect on accuracy but willing to take the chance.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response Snellstrom. I will wait and see how yours turns out before I do anything.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
What contour were you thinking, were you going to bob it shorter?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I was thinking something around a #4 contour and leave it at 24 inches.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
quote:
some clown attempts to do triple salchow, leading into a double axle with a toe loop with their quad and catches a handlebar and does a lip stand.

It only counts if one says 'Hey guys, watch THIS!' beforehand. Am told that in some parts it's okay if one states 'Here, hold my beer'

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LnB:

May not matter at all, but I am pretty sure that all the large bore Model 70 Bbls, which I think means .375 and up, are not hammer forged. I believe they are button rifled. I believe this is true for all of their stainless barrels. I remember reading that somewhere and see if I can dig up the reference.

Bb

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Thanks, and good info. I would be interested in the reference as a matter of academic interest.