THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Pre-64 Mod 70, or Sears FN 98 Mod 50...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted
Good question. I think the Sears FN 98 Model 50 is actually the better bargain in real dollars and cents, but given my choice of each I would choose the Winchester pre-64 Model 70 because it is basically a ready made hunting rifle. This would be especially true for my money if the stock is the one without the monte carlo buttstock found on the last pre-64s. There is a good reason why a lot of rifles are judged while being compared to the Model 70, and it is small wonder that many Mausers are built with a new safety that resembles the one on the Model 70 whether it be two position or three position. I realize many like the safety on the Model 50, but I myself would rather it be a side swing type.

However, given a Model 50 with a new trigger and a two position model 70 type safety I would be content with either. Price would perhaps be closer to each other then also.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had both these rifles for a long time. It's true that the Sears 50 and 51 are a little lighter than a standard grade M70 but weigh more than a pre-64 M70 Featherweight by a noticeable amount.

I can't understand how a safety on the left side of a bolt shroud can be operated without removing ones hand from the grip. If you thumb it off it will click. The M70 will click also but it's much easier to operate in a silent mode. We replaced the FN safety with a RH Beuhler long ago.

The triggers on the Sears FN are suspect but they work. As mentioned the combs are low but with low mounts they will work.

A nice old M70 Featheweight might go $800 today and the M50's are up to $400 here. I have three times as many pre64 M70 Featherweights if that answers your question.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I have both, and it really depends upon the day of the week as to which I like better. I think the Sears rifle is the better value as well. But you are correct, once the trigger and safety has been changed, the price really isn't that much different.

The Winchesters that I see are usually sitting in the racks with price tags that start around 550 to 600. The Model 50 is rarely over 350. Granted, neither price is what you will probably pay.