New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 Lott Magazine length
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up a Winchester 70 classic that had been rechambered to 458 Lott. The Lotts loaded with 500grain Hornadys don't fit in the magazine. How would this be corrected?

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
order a 375 length magbox, which is the 375, 416 rem, 458 lott, 300HH, and the RUM length boxes

bringing that to the shoot on the 9th?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
J, what is the OAL of the ammo and the box?

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,
You bet!

Hog Killer,
I haven't measured yet. But when I do I'll post it.

Thanks Guys

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
OAL is listed at 3.6". I know a rechambered M70 in 7STW will handle 3.6" I know this is a stupid question but the spacer was removed from the back of the magazine when it was rechambered?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd sure like to hear if the new box corrected the problem...I'm betting the box is too narrow up front

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I measured the box and came up with 3.635 inches. I was just loading the bullets to the canalure and crimping. I don't have any more loaded yet, but just playing with a case and bullet I can measure anywhere from 3.675 to 3.625 still using the canalure for crimping on Hornady 500grain round nose. I can push the bullets back but I don't see .10 giving reliable feeding, I would think more like .050 or better. I am sure you guys know more about it than I do but after taking the rifle apart I can't see how a longer box will fit the action, it was originally a 458WM if that makes any difference. And if I changed the box I would need a longer magazine follower too ????

I know that I can trim the brass back and make it work......but I want it right in case I ever have to use any factory ammo.

Ramrod,
no spacer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't see how you could fit a lott round in the magazine of a standard size action unless the action or magazine caseing?? is modified.I fed some 458 WM rds in my Win model 70 300WM and have NEVER seen a rifle feed as smooth.I tried some Lott rds and saw that they would not fit in any magazine in any floor plate/trigger guard assembly unless the housing is modified.The housing seems to be welded to the action and therefore not a part you can order and replace.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway,
My magazine box is not welded to the action, it is held in place by the bottom metal. It is a win model 70, I have several and they all are fit this way as are all my model 700s. I have never seen ran into one that is welded, that is a new one on me. But thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

If you don't mind, where would a fella start looking for that longer magazine box?

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
Try this, the code for the 375 box is HF

Gun Parts

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you don't mind, where would a fella start looking for that longer magazine box

If your box measures 3.635 then I would think it is the same length as the 375. I've used both the long magnum box as well as the normal magnum with the spacer removed. They were the same length.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Load your ammo to NO MORE than 3.60". Should work fine in your mag box.

2.80" max case lenght

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Shootaway,
My magazine box is not welded to the action, it is held in place by the bottom metal. It is a win model 70, I have several and they all are fit this way as are all my model 700s. I have never seen ran into one that is welded, that is a new one on me. But thanks.
I am not talking about the magazine box being welded,but the part of the action that is between the action and the whole trigger guard,floorplate assembly.I guess yours is different or modified because it was a 458WM to begin with,whereas mine is a 300WM.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The magnum case head is .475" at the tipping edge.
When cartridges tip with pitch or yaw, it adds ~ .006" to the length of the cartridge.
The hypotenuse it equal the root of the sum of the squares. [Remember jr high school?]

What does it all mean?
When I opened the VZ24 mag box to 3.341" and put in 3.340" cartridges, they got stuck.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
some of shoo thataways more notable contributions to shooting sports

he wears a snowmobile helmut to shot a 458 with

he only uses ONE scope ring on a cz in 458, and complains about groups

loads so hot he gets the FIRST load out of new 458 brass, and then the primers fall out

likes to crush bullets with a mallet, from a "knealing position" for some reason

invents a 4th m70 action length

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

Ordered the magazine box from the link you sent me, thanks, I bet I will need a longer follower also but they were out. At least when I get the box I will be able to see what else if anything will be needed.
I'll bring it Sunday if nothing else it'll be a big single shot Big Grin

Again, thanks all for the help and input. I will post results.