New
Find
Notify
Tools

mauser question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
while on vacation in Mont. i p/u a Mauser that had been rebarelled with a new Douglas in 338/06.it had a m70 safety and a m70 bolt handle and a very nice trigger. it is surely a model 98. the front ring says La Coruna 1953. anyone have any idea if these are decent actions? im sure its Spanish for sure not as nicely finished as the early german ones ive seen.

Posts: 97 | Location: maple valley, wash. | Registered: 19 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It started life as a Spanish Model 43 (7.9mm short rifle). They were produced by the Spanish govt factory in La Coruna, Spain. They aren't known for being the greatest of the Mauser actions.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Here's a nice story...

if you put this for a decent price, and it shoots well, great, you got a good one in a nice caliber...

if the action is junk, it is not HORRIBLE to swap all those parts and put on a nice action

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38616 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info. the guy i got it from says it shot quite well. i wont be loading hot for it anyway. i will mount a scope and see what she does. are these actions metalurgically sound or should i be concerned. it will mainly be a bear rifle for my spring trips to montana and a loaner elk rifle.

Posts: 97 | Location: maple valley, wash. | Registered: 19 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of darwinmauser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffalobreath:
thanks for the info. the guy i got it from says it shot quite well. i wont be loading hot for it anyway. i will mount a scope and see what she does. are these actions metalurgically sound or should i be concerned. it will mainly be a bear rifle for my spring trips to montana and a loaner elk rifle.

La Coruna action is not the most desirable Mauser action out there ,some say the best thing to do with it is melt it down ,others like me think if it's survived use and abuse for the last 60 years it should be ok, the Mauser is not a strong design because of it's metalergy, it's strong by design and even soft actions won't let go without ample warning, actions that have been hardened all the way through are the ones to be scared of.I have seen one action like this ,it was scrapped.

It's mercy, compassion and forgiveness I lack; not rationality.

Posts: 2414 | Location: Humpty Doo NT Australia | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote