THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM 4X4, ATV FORUM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

smallest, most powerful ATV? - Best power to weight ratio?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 500 Polaris Sportsman which is a good machine, but I'd also like to pick up a smaller quad that can get into tighter spots, without giving up too much power.

So far I've looked at the Polaris 300, Yamaha 350 4WD IRS (only one with diff lock) and Honda Four Trax Recon.

Anyone have experience with the smaller quads?

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i have, adn love, THREE lakotas .. they are 300cc, 2x4, 400lbs, and NIMBLE is a very good descprition.

i have also had and/or have
300 arctic cat 2x4 .. i call it big red, its HUGE

300cc polaris sportsman -- very fast, horrible steering

400 cc honda foreman? 4x4, brother in laws.. HORRIBLE steering

suzuki 250 something or other .. bout for 200 bucks, rode it till it died, rebuilt it, gave it to a nephew... couldn't kill it after the rebuild.

basically, the 250/300 CC bikes, 2 wheel drive, are going to be fast and nimble...

if you REALLY want fast and nimble, the 3xx whatever raptor...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth..... I have a Kawaski 750i twin that you can never relax on. The power this machine has is incredible. It will jump out from underneath you before you know what is happening.

Lots of fun on the open trail, difficult when working in tight quarters. JMHO

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Express,

What do you want to use it for?

If you don't intend carrying big loads, a Rokon might be an alternative...

Regards,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
400 outlander.
Will eat your polaris, manuver much better, and lighter to boot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you don't have to have something shiney and new, look for a polaris 250 trailboss. they're old and not real fast, but very rebuildable and very reliable. grease fittings every where, even the u-joints. they were made to last a long time through decent maintenance. all chain drive and when you put them in 4-wheel, it's truely, "locked-up-all-4-wheels-biting-all-the-time-drive".

i had one for 17 years and it never needed a thing but gas, oil and 1 reluctor(?) for the charging system. i only just repalced it 2 years ago with a 400 arctic cat, and i honestly see no improvement by having a newer machine.
only a 250cc. two stroke, but it was all the snort you needed. it would literally go anywhere, over anything, and through places that the new machines won't even begin to fit through. it also light enough that you could pick one end clear off the ground if need be.
it took a few months for me to get used to not having my little polaris. the new arctic cat was like going from a thorough-bred to a fat bellied rental trail-horse.
i know it's still around and running fine,.... i gave it to my daughter.....

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I have a 2004 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x2 and love it. It is not too heavy and very maneuverable, but it is still a full size machine. Mine has 6300 miles on it.

If you want something smaller, my son has a Yamaha Beartracker 250 that is bullet proof and very peppy.

I highly recommend either machine.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the honda rancher. 420cc, fuel injected, and no CV drive to suck the power. You can get them with or without power steering, overall very nimble. I hear the 09s have IRS while 08s and earlier are straight axle.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote