THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM 4X4, ATV FORUM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which GPS unit do you use in your off-roading 4x4?
 Login/Join

posted
I would like something that can be used off-road as well as on-road.

Thanks,
George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Garmin Nuvi 500 series has both on road and off road capability. I bought mine for my motorcycle since it's also water proof. Has worked pretty well for me here in Vegas and all around Western WA on and off road. I picked mine up at Fry's electronics locally. They will do internet price matching as well. Think I paid a little under $250.00 for mine.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
I would like something that can be used off-road as well as on-road.
Thanks,
George

I use a Nuvi off road and boating rivers download the maps, I find it updates faster than my dedicated off road GPS and has a better screen resolution. Able to run it on rivers in AK jetboating.

kk alaska

posted Hide Post
I lookled at the 550, but it came out in 2008 and has not been updated.

I am thinking of going with an iPad paired with a GlobalSat BU-353-S4 GPS receiver. Using the GaiaGPS app, I can download maps for the areas I will be visiting in advance, and track my progress in realtime.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George that is a neat idea. I like the I pad screen size better.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A couple of guys that I wheel with have the iPad set up and it is quite a bit more capable than a conventional GPS.

George

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I am currently using the Garmin 550 but am going to try using my Galaxy SIII smart phone with a AT&T navigator APP.

I hit the APP from my recliner ( Cool) and it showed my position on the mountainside with what appeared to be a google map. It is a new toy and I am still learning how things work.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I just got a Garmin 550t as a gift. Anyone have operating tips or suggested downloads for detailed maps?

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote