Find
Notify
Tools

..It's gotta be cool!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
!

Posts: 3468 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are driving in a lot of fog, LEDs can blind you depending on the style and where they are mounted. Best to chat with an expert in your area.

Otherwise, LEDs are great. They provide plenty of light and the best part is they are shock proof if you drive on gravel/dirt/salt roads. The downside is the $$$$ you have to shell out for them.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,
Opus is right, LED's are great. Lots of choices, fog, spot, flood and all sorts of combos.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
You mean vertical stray light?

If your driving lights on bright are blinding in fog, LEDs are just 10 times more blinding. Best to seek another solution that is more effective but might not be as cool as LEDs.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was in Moab for Easter Safari this year, in the vendor area, there were lots of folks selling LED's that were many different colors. Many were amber, labeled fog lamps.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fog lights need to be mounted low & aimed relatively close infront of the vehicle to avoid the nasty reflectance angles back to the driver.
ie
the closer the light & the object being lit is to the line of sight of the driver , the worse the reflectance is.

flood type reflector/lens
yellow / amber colour.
best if thats a coloured LED rather than a coloured lens.( some have both).

LEDs basically no different to incandescent globes.............its the physics of reflectance angles & light colour that penetrates in water vapour. LEDs are more durable & more energy efficient than incandescent.
There is a reason Sodium lights ( usually high pressure type)are used for street/highway lighting in fog prone areas

FWIW

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can never have too much light driving a vehicle at night ( except for the oncoming vehicle if uncourteous )

Quality LED driving light bars are excellent for rural driving.
longrange spots in the middle & floods on the outsides ( as an OEM unit) giving good light off to the sides as well as distance in front.

the energy efficiency of LEDs enables high light output without overtaxing vehicle electrical systems.

And
Those LED lightbars are super cool Cool
FWIW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, typically mounted on the bullbar ( not always the top tho............)

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Getting back to the fog lights, as mentioned they are best mounted as low as possible. The beam shape is flat vertically to avoid light scatter and wide horizontally. Normally fog lights don't reach out far in front of the vehicle instead they are for seeing what's directly in front and to the side while you drive.

I'm not really up on the current brands but one advantage of LED's is its ability to focus light just where it's needed with less scatter then incondecent bulbs.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2797 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I don't own the Rigids but they have a good reputation.

I picked up the extra lights for my Wrangler from a local Jeep specialty place that sells their own brand under the Black Mountain name. It was one stop for me -- drive in a stock Jeep (picked up used), drive out with new bumpers, winch, and some extra lights up front.

http://www.collinsbrosjeep.com/

I am looking at a couple of brands I have seen recommended for some lights I want to add at the rear:

http://www.krawloff-road.com/

http://www.inspired-engineering.com/default.asp

I have not used either brand, just considering them based on recommendations on the Wrangler forum, which is where I search for info on Jeep-related matters:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/

Quadratec is a vendor that gets pretty high marks. I have purchased from them. Just be sure what you want is in stock or will be soon when you place your order.

http://www.quadratec.com/

Some of these vendors have coupon codes they post on the Jeep boards. That may save you a little.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:
Originally posted by DenisB:
Yes, typically mounted on the bullbar ( not always the top tho............)

A Rigid Industries LED 2 light set up has been recommended. Seem OK?

Rigid make a darn good product.
they have quite a wide range, so the issue is fitness of a particular product for your need.