Find
Notify
Tools

Jeep Cherokee
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted
I just bought a 2000 Cherokee SE, looks like it is going to be a good truck. It has the 4.0 liter straight six. anybody have anything to say about cherokees?

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had a 1999 with the same engine. No breakdowns in 9 years. Only changed the oil. Got 18 mpg around town and 22 mpg highway. EXCELLENT EXCELLENT traction in the snow.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
Did you have the automatic or manual transmission?

JOIN SCI!

one of us
posted Hide Post
There supposed to be pretty good cept they dont have a chasey frame, Its all unibody sheet metal

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a '97 Grand Cherokee, it is a Diesel 2.5Tdi and I fitted a 2" lift a couple of years ago. I got it following spinal surgery after driving Land Rovers for years. At first I was a bit timid with it but now, I take it everywhere that I used to go in my Land Rover, plus I have a heater that works!

They are very good, you will enjoy it.

John

www.kosaa.co.uk

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm on my 3rd cherokee now and the meter cable was broken when wheelin at 297,373 miles. All of mine were older models '90, '96 and currently an '88. My '88 has a 4.0 inline six, 4" pro comp lift and 30x9.00 mud/ snow tires. These are tough little 4x4's and light in wieght with mine being only 2,800 #'s before I started chopping on it. The older models are more fun as I'm not afraid to tear them up. Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeeps, regardless of the model, are pretty rugged vehicles. We ran a 1990 Cherokee Limited over 170K miles with only a couple of non-maintenance (brakes, tires, fluids) issues. 1 thing to check is where the brake lines are routed around the windshield washer tank under the hood. A line on our's rubbed a hole through the plastic tank and rusted through, causing an interesting and very sudden total brake system failure.

If this vehicle is new to you, I'd suggest changing all of the lubricating fluids; engine, differentials, transmission, and transfer case and go with full synthetic fluids. The L6 is a rugged engine and could go 300K miles with regular maintenance and good quality fluids.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 260remguy:
Jeeps, regardless of the model, are pretty rugged vehicles. Jeff

I'll second that. My 1980 Jeep Wagoneer still takes me to Botswana every year and is more reliable, more comfortable and considerably easier to maintain than any of my Landrovers, Discoveries or Range Rovers ever were. - My only complaint about it is that the steering wheel is on the wrong side! Wink

One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
Steve,
Nice rig! How the hell did that make it to southern Africa??
Must be a good story??

JOIN SCI!

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Yup, it's a diamond huh. According to the Jeep website, the vehicle was made 1st January 1980 and was a private import into RSA around that time. The original owner (who was a Jeep agent here) drove it from new for the first 4-5 years of it's life until he got seriously ill. Then it was put into a garage where it sat for some years. In about 1995, (well after the original owner had died) his son who had inherited his Father's business dragged it out of the garage and restored it over a period of years. Despite looking original, there have been some unseen modifications for Africa, such as Old Man Emu suspension and a lot of Edelbrook engine parts. When I bought the truck it also came with it's full history and a massive pile of receipts etc. - About the only visible changes (from the outside) are the Cobra exhausts and the wheels.

FWIW, I'm a big fan of classic vehicles and also have a 1982 Honda CB900F in similar condition.

The tuck has done just over 100000 Kms since new and runs like a dream.......and I have to say, I love it to bits!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vemo-- Congratulations on the Jeep-- enjoy!

-And thanks for the eye-candy, Steve "Shakari" Robinson!

You all convinced me-- my next one may have to be a Jeep... again.

I've been pleased with the 212,000+ miles I've gotten out of my 1994 Ford Explorer XLT so far. But since I ordered it new in Texas, I felt like I only needed 4x2 at the time. Now I "need" a more versatile huntin' rig.

I miss the ol' 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer I got when my first child was born-- something subconscious said that a new, proud Poppa should provide that wood-grain side-trim for the growing family.

[Think: Chevy Chase as "Clark Griswold" in National Lampoon's "Vacation" with his Family Truckster.]

Happy 4-wheeling, Gents!

thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Steve,what's with the OLD CRAP?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bought a '97 back in 2000 as a lease-back with 37k on the meter. drove to 217k and traded it in 8 or 9 mos. ago for a car for my daughter. the only thing we put on it besides maintenance stuff was an alternator. it always started and always took me where i had to go and back. and the dealer gave $1500 for it when i traded it in on a $4500 dollar car!! it got bought right away, i still see it running around town. you just can't beat them. i was told the reason they are so good is because chrysler built them on military contract and rather than build the military versions on a different line they just made sure it was a good vehicle and plucked the military cars off the same ass'y line as orders came in.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Hey Steve,what's with the OLD CRAP?

You know how to hurt a man! Wink

Here's more of my old crap.

I love, but love, classic vehicles and if I had garage space and the budget, I'd have at least a dozen classic cars and bikes. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
you need a winch for the truck

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Warn is a very good company and you can never go wrong with one of their products. Just make sure you buy one big enough, loaded vehical weight multiplied by two, mud is a bitch.

posted Hide Post
Hey Shakari, what dose the red monster have under the hood?? 360? 401? If its got a 401 that could be the start of a really bad ass trail rig, 360 might not even be too bad either.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
AMC 5.7 V8 with a lot of Edelbrook go faster parts. Underneath is Old Man Emu. Quick enough for an old fart like me. Wink