New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unimog
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We used these in the Solomon Islands in the sixties. You could fit spikes to the wheels if you needed to drive over logs. I came across them ten years later in Rhodesia. We used to fit old Hispano-Suiza 20mm canon on them and go hunting in Mozambique.

This from a comment to a test report of a Unimog !! Maybe those 600 NE guys are obsolete !
wave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1962 404 which im trying to get mobile again ,i started on the brakes 8 years ago but got distracted due to woman problems ,saw one in South Africa last year being used as a tourist bus .im interested in the '' spikes '',you talked about ? they really are the best 4x4s ,ive tried the jap,pommy,u,s, 4x4s etc and they are all just try hards compared to mogs

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only seen one in my life but what a unit! It was in Halifax Nova Scotia more than ten years ago. It was used by a crew that were starting the north american leg of a round the world tour.
That thing was built like an APC, but had all the camping and comfort amenities, good bunks, nice living quarters in the back, and lots of off road extras like pull out traction mats and winches front and rear. Very impressive!

Posts: 234 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These trucks are really cheap in the US.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 406 with a 8x2 trans (I think it was a either a 8 or 4.). Never drove it but it was well built. I sold it after adding up the parts need to get it working. Not a cheap vehicle to maintain.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 404s were a military model and you can get very reasonably priced parts for on EBAY ,Expedition Imports, etc, the 406 is more of a heavy duty industrial tractor with OM352 5.7 litre diesel and much more expensive for parts ,the 404 is probably better for hunting as its lighter ,cheaper ,etc but gasoline .mine had been sitting for 10 years i put two batteries in it [24 volt ] sqirted some fule in the carburettor and it starter first go ! couldnt believe it

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Saw two of these in Namibia, one of them running. Astounding machines!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a guy in Arkansas that imports them and sells them. He also imports Pinzgauers. I have to force myself to stay away from his place or I'm gonna end up owning one.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have link to the guy in AR?

"It ain't lion hunting unless you get stitches." - John in WYO

"It became aquatic, briefly." Ann ~ Aspen Hill Adventures

The bear has to touch you to hurt you. Don’t let the bear touch you.

Posts: 239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good morning John. These are what we used in Namibia when I went. I'd love to get my hands on one.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote