Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overhead gun rack for trucks
 Login/Join

posted
Years ago, my guide in TX had a padded gun shelf that bolted to the ceiling above the rear view mirror.

It was padded, with a slight lip, and used Velcro-type straps to hold two long guns in place. The guns lay on top of the shelf and were not visible from outside.

It looked something like this

I cannot find it in my web searches.

Does anyone know the brand and if they are still made?

thanks,
George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing those in the Cabelas catalog in the past. Don't know if they still have them.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
They don't.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had several of those years ago. They were "attached" by moveable bent rods going behind the window "frame". I think the new style trucks don't have enough "framing" to support them. I could be wrong because this is just speculation on my part. They were damn handy and provided estremely easy access while keeping the gun more or less concealed from a guy on the street.

I "think" I still have one laying around in a barn somewhere. IIRC, the last truck I used one on was a 91 Ford Diesel. It would be easy to make one but to mount one would probably require drilling holes in roof since the plastic "framing" they use these days is more like heavy paper not the thicker kind they used to use. I also don't know if the newer truck designs would allow enough room for them to be overhead and out of sight. I'll look next time I get in mine and report back.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gato,

The one in the photo I posted uses the visor mount screw holes. Then the visors attach to the shelf. Pretty clever and easy installation.

George

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Gato,

The one in the photo I posted uses the visor mount screw holes. Then the visors attach to the shelf. Pretty clever and easy installation.

George

Sounds clever. I'd buy one if you can find a source.

Knowing the attachment method, it would not be really difficult to make one, but buying one would certainly be easier.

I wonder if the wt of the rack and guns was too much for the visor holes? That might be why they are not commonly available.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
http://www.autoaccessoriesgara...erhead-Storage-Shelf

This one looks like the one in our hunting rig (just cleaner). I remembered the "Shelf-It" name but the VDP isn't familiar. But we bought ours quite a few years back.

Works great with one scoped rifle but not deep enough for two.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 818 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great job of finding those. I looked thru many pages of google and couldn't locate them. Just ordered two.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
check out Big sky Gun Racks. Love mine

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but that isn't what I am looking for. I want something that is more discreet.

George

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a couple of the ones we discussed above and installed them. I would not recommend them, nor buy anymore.

xxxxxxxxxx

posted Hide Post
Thanks. It looks like I will have to resign myself to the idea that I won't find one.

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks, but that isn't what I am looking for. I want something that is more discreet.

George
My truck was broken into twice both times the thieves didn't look up and see the rifle and shotgun in the over head gun rack seems fairly discreet to me.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

George
My truck was broken into twice both times the thieves didn't look up and see the rifle and shotgun in the over head gun rack. Seems fairly discreet to me.