New
Find
Notify
Tools

Polaris?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a serious squeal from rear of my Polaris 900. The 800 also had it. Sent it back to dealer 2X, they said it was inherent in the vehicle. Anyone else have this?

Posts: 179 | Location: northern Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
I have an 800, No squeals. My buddy has a 900, no squeals. Sounds like a line of BS to me. I know nothing but sounds like a belt slipping to me. My experience has been that some dealers are not as knowledgeable as others. I would contact Polaris and see what they say. I had a problem with over heating. Local dealer kept cleaning radiator. Problem turned out to be thermostat. Local guy never figured it out.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
My 800 didn't make any noise

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 800 has multiple issues:
The 900 addressed some of these.

The obnoxious engine service light that comes on for no apparent reason and no one including the service folks at Polaris seems to know why.

The 800 runs hot ! this is apparently normal ? very very hot and that hot air comes through the slots where the gas and brake pedal pass through the firewall

in summers it's uncomfortable, winter and fall when we hunt it's a bonus Big Grin

Squeaks and irritating mechanical noises from the rear suspension arms and from the cargo box rubber nubbins and the cargo box catch.... they require some grease and attention.

Squeaking from a dusty belt and then pulling away on gradients in high range resulting in a burnt belt !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, any more answers?

Posts: 179 | Location: northern Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steering box just went out on my sons 800 crew.
it is a POS & a money pit. Right now it's sitting in shop all apart waiting on box. One of the worst vehicles to work on.
His brother & I have told him to get rid of it & buy a CJ instead for the farm.
Squeal could be from center carrier bearing which we had to replace

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The dealer reportedly checked all that, I even paid to get the yokes regreased after less than 12 months and 30 hours, but it still squeaks at certain Rpm's. thanks and still listening for other possibilities. KLD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rode a 2000 Polaris sportsman 500 for 15 yrs great bike. Just sold 2006 sportsman 500, again another good bike. Still own a 2014 sportsman 570, 2015 Ranger crew 570, great workhorse on my farm, a 2017 Ranger 570 for farm and hunting.I generally like my Ranger EV but hate the battery issues but great for sneaking into my deer stands.
We have good dealers and independent repair guys down here because everybody runs some brand of atv/utv.
No squeals on any of these machines.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Possible causes in descending order are
Drive belt
Clutch and or clutch spindle
Differential lock actuator
Carrier bearing
Brake caliper

Polaris 800s are built like AMF era Harley's, every time you drive it something will break or fall off.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks, will try to diagnose one of those. This is a 900.

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
They fixed a few of the issues on the 800 to the 900 but quality control at Polaris is still lacking.

I bought a used Kubota RTV several years ago while I was waiting on parts for my Polaris ranger. I have had put about 3000 hours on the Kubota since I bought it with no issues.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Kubota RTV has been great. About 10yrs old.I bypassed the Neutral safety sweitch as the problem was not the sensor or wiring, but that is all.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you got this fixed, but a few owners have traced their squeal to the secondary clutch (drives the trans).

They replaced it with a Team secondary and fixed it.

If you get a duraclutch, that comes with a different secondary as well, but you are looking at ~ $1000 to do this through them.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote