New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Enough?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
On the 1/2 mile of dirt road to the barn at 5:00 AM I just missed hitting a bull ( still had his antlers) moose in the road. My truck with a snowplow on wasnt going to be big enough, as I rode the ditch to avoid hitting him, he would have come up over onto the hood. Should I go to the Telehandler with the telescoping bucket out to go back and forth with, or do you think a JD 7400 with the weights on front for a "bullbar"is enough?

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TSJ:
On the 1/2 mile of dirt road to the barn at 5:00 AM I just missed hitting a bull ( still had his antlers) moose in the road. My truck with a snowplow on wasnt going to be big enough, as I rode the ditch to avoid hitting him, he would have come up over onto the hood. Should I go to the Telehandler with the telescoping bucket out to go back and forth with, or do you think a JD 7400 with the weights on front for a "bullbar"is enough?

If you had slowed down the plow truck would have been fine. If it has a BOSS plow you could have pinned him against the high bank or barn wall & wacked him with a hammer.

Winkdancing jumping

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Suitcase weights protect the radiator? I don't think so.

Get a bigger truck with a "V" plow.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a diamond plow..... but it does have a quick detach. maybe I could get a Boss fitted to the frame? Folks seem to get heckled alot for any switcheroo type things though. Wink Then theres the hammer part???? Would a regular frammer work, or should I carry a full blown 18# fencepost maul? Does Estwing make a switch-head hammer? Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
................ dancingA wheel Skidder ....A 518 Cat with the Canadian Ring Chains ,,,,,,,Now the line model may be too light in the back end , so you probably better go with the Grapple machine .......AYE YAH ........Thats just in case you evah bin Down East aye yah hillbilly ...........Aye YAh sum guys say the TimberJack 230 D wueks wicked good but I don,t know When I was cuttin pulp up by MooseHead Lake The 225 wueked bettah cause it was lowah to the ground .........A 5 lb Raftin Ax wurks best foahhittin dem in tha head ........aye yah ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Why not just do a drive -by with a .600Ok one handed, HOME-BOY STYLE! Show some class!-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hit a doe mule deer headed back from my ranch going 85 mph a couple of years (6-7) ago. I was driving a 2 door tahoe with a big grill guard that was welded to the frame of th car. It didn't total the tahoe, but it did demolish the grill guard and smash the front end of the truck in. The deer was shot up the road about 20 yards from the impact and was torn in half. I was lucky it didn't roll up into the wind sheild, that the real danger with taller animals like elk and moose.

Interesting part of the story is that the next day I returned back to take a look at the deer and walked up on a cougar chowin down on the deer... this was odd because mountain lions aren't usually seen in the Texas Panhandle and they usually don't scavenge. It sure scared the hell out of me, my old man, and the big cat. I've been trying to track it down since.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A wheel Skidder ....A 518 Cat with the Canadian Ring Chains ,,,,,,,Now the line model may be too light in the back end , so you probably better go with the Grapple machine .......AYE YAH ........Thats just in case you evah bin Down East aye yah ...........Aye YAh sum guys say the TimberJack 230 D wueks wicked good but I don,t know When I was cuttin pulp up by MooseHead Lake The 225 wueked bettah cause it was lowah to the ground .........A 5 lb Raftin Ax wurks best foahhittin dem in tha head ........aye yah ...

Damn Gum, if I was going to go that far I'd rent me a feller-buncher, then I could capture it and gut it all without getting out of the cab Eeker
I'm about ( aboot) a 5 hr drive from Moosehead, funny how differant a dialect there is. Hell I'm only a few min to the border with the Quebes and the same to NH. In NH it's " going to Ames-es to buy somor faughty-fo-uh shells. We're the only ones around that talk properly Big Grin, and then we're getting poluted with Boston&NYC people moving in by the craploads.
Back on topic, got into my truck at 6:30 tonight to come home, when I turned the truck lights on, what do I see, but a skunk running out from the corner of the barn. As the state Vet told us, high rabies, get rid of any skunks&coons around the animals. I dropped the plow and rolled it up the road and slammed it into the snowbank. My diamond is vindicated!! And, yes my truck stinks clap

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
You wouldn't need to worry if you were driving a topkick!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Must have been my comment about NYC pricks poluting the state, george S kicked it off bigbores down here. rotflmo

posted Hide Post
Actually, I didn't see that comment, and it wouldn't have made a difference to me.

I moved it because 'Big Bores' is a 'Rifles' forum, not an automotive forum.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a smilie face, that means a joke George.
You take yourself way to seriously!
It's mid winter and us northerers are getting a little cabin fever, a little humor in the wrong forum to lighten things up.
OH NO, I mentioned humor, now this has to be moved again. Big Grin
Take note .... another smilie face.

posted Hide Post
Oh, just go find a '60 GMC dump truck like I have, weld 300lbs. of grill guard on the front of it and you dont have to worry about moose, elk, bear, or just about anything short of elephant. It's not fast but it is big. Although I do have a 427 High Block sitting in the corner of the shop, that, I will guess move that dump truck pretty fast, at least as fast as I'm willing to drive it.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TSJ:
Must have been my comment about NYC pricks poluting the state, george S kicked it off bigbores down here. rotflmo
... X 2 animal

My Dakota didn,t do so good and I know the Top Kick can and does get totalled by a broadside with a moose ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
with the snow plow weld hayspikes to the sombitch at the right height and use the hydraulics to carry him home with no hammer action horse

Cowboy Up
People Sleep peaceful in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence upon those who would do them harm
-George Orwell

Posts: 18 | Location: The Bitteroot MT | Registered: 19 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
buglemintoday: thats a great looking truck did you have it built up?

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote