Alumaminium
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Explains why ford is going aluminum in its trucks

http://www.fool.com/investing/...-2017-super-dut.aspx

Anyone doing real hauling in North America where these trucks are sold uses a trailer.

Ford F-150 is also the number One selling luxury vechile in the us. More f-150 are sold than any other vechile in the $50k and higher price range.

The truck on photo is a higher end model - platinum, king ranch or lariat - they don't have retractable running boards on lower end models.

Mike

I'm a contractor who relies on my truck for a living. It's getting increasingly difficult to find a truck that fits the bill. Hence, Cargo trailers are a necessity. They ought to make a video about the people loading up their stuf, outside the local Home Depot. Hilarious and dangerous. Trucks have evolved into expensive toys for the well heeled.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Show ponies...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Explains why ford is going aluminum in its trucks

http://www.fool.com/investing/...-2017-super-dut.aspx

Anyone doing real hauling in North America where these trucks are sold uses a trailer.

Ford F-150 is also the number One selling luxury vechile in the us. More f-150 are sold than any other vechile in the $50k and higher price range.

The truck on photo is a higher end model - platinum, king ranch or lariat - they don't have retractable running boards on lower end models.

Mike

I'm a contractor who relies on my truck for a living. It's getting increasingly difficult to find a truck that fits the bill. Hence, Cargo trailers are a necessity. They ought to make a video about the people loading up their stuf, outside the local Home Depot. Hilarious and dangerous. Trucks have evolved into expensive toys for the well heeled.

Grizz

They are a great margin business and the big three build them well.

I love mine cause I can basically run my office in it - have enough power and usb outlets and a ton of space. The backset of a crew cab f-150 has move space than a 7 series bmw.

If one wants a work truck - maybe used or a base model. These trucks get expensive very fast. I don't why anyone would want to do any ranch work with a king ranch model.

Most of the contractors I know have managed to get 300-400K miles out of their f-150 and silverados. These trucks are very well built.

A plain jane model might be tough to kind cause they price up fast.

Big local central florida dealer with flat pricing for some info.

http://www.mullinaxfordfl.com/...or-normalBodyStyle-8

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
funny thing, or two.

Compare the aluminum models from Ford VS GMC (love the commercials) or a real truck like the Dodge.

1. They aren't any lighter.

2. The F-150 has the lowest rating, 8500lbs of the three. GMC 8900 lbs, and the Dodge at 9200.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
funny thing, or two.

Compare the aluminum models from Ford VS GMC (love the commercials) or a real truck like the Dodge.

1. They aren't any lighter.

2. The F-150 has the lowest rating, 8500lbs of the three. GMC 8900 lbs, and the Dodge at 9200.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f15...ecifications/towing/

The towing with the eco boost engines is pretty impressive.

The most impressive thing about the ecoboost is acceleration

http://www.zeroto60times.com/v...ford-0-60-mph-times/

Sub 6 seconds to get a full size truck to 60 miles. It's actually faster than my Cadillac CTS - but my Cadillac has a 4 cycliner engine.

I don't drive aggressive so it really makes no practical difference how fast I get to 60 miles.

I have owned/leased both gmc and ford. Maybe will try ram next - all great trucks.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
my buddy fixes a lot of cars/trucks. the Rams seem to have the heaviest frames now, is that good, beats me.

They had a salvage Chevy Silverado in the shop, the frame guy said he never saw such thin rails before. They pulled it and it is now on the road.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't just measure things by thickness !If we increase the strength of the steel or aluminum by 20% we can decrease the thickness 20% .Alloys and design over the years have changed especially to crunch and absorb energy to save your butt not the truck !! Eeker

one of us
posted Hide Post
What ever happened to Audi's all aluminum car ?

the Audi A8 is the aluminum one .Read some technical papers on welding them but never knew anyone who had one .Don't remember any long term use tests.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have driven all of the Big three as well as the Tundra. I have put hundreds of thousands of miles on Fords, Chevy, and Dodge trucks. My last company vehicle was a 2015 Tundra SR5. Great Solid Truck. The only downfall was the poor fuel mileage.

The one trend I have noticed in the past 16 years of driving 1/2 ton work trucks is they have gotten more and more pussified. Suspension on many of the newer ones are as soft as a Cadillac (Chevy) and forget about putting anything in the bed of any substantial weight. The rear end will sag so bad that you can barely see over the hood. They put passenger tires on them to soften up the ride and that is another problem when you are carrying a load. Not to mention when you would go off the road on a jobsite the soft passenger tires would easily get flats and the tread would get chewed up and expose the belts. I had a Chevy 1500 that I had to replace the full set of tires within 2000 miles of picking it up at the office. The tires were so chewed up and I had several flats. After that the company implemented a policy that when they requested them from Enterprise Fleet they had to have LT All Terrain tires mounted on them prior to us taking possesion. To many of our guys were getting flats or having to replace tires within a short time that it was costing the company to much money replace on our own.
One other thing I have observed is that the 1/2 ton trucks wear out much faster now then they did 10+ years ago. They rattle loose and require maintenance more frequently.

If you are wanting a work truck nowadays you have to step up to a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Things I do with my pickups ;-)

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post

Aluminium bed on my 90 F350 4×4 6pack

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sure glad that you guys that don't Big Grin like aluminum don't own ar's

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote