Notify
Tools

Alumaminium
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
Ford. buddy has one in the shop.

If you don't have something nice to say....POS, cheap, rivets, weak.

Posts: 6401 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is that repair going to cost.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aluminum is wonderful stuff until you have to repair it.

Ford screwed the pooch on that call.

Fortunately my 2016 Ford Ranger Wildtrack is steel where it counts...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That of course is the new international Ranger [not for USA] which is which is larger than our old USA Ranger.
Retrain your welders ,Take special care with iron/aluminum connections !!
Remember that all the 'tests' of the truck will not cover all the possible problems. Don't be a beta tester !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep. In Namibia we actually use our trucks for what they were intended to do. Here in the states seems trucks are largely show ponies with "Salt Life" stickers on the back.

Cool

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
$16K and counting

quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
What is that repair going to cost.

Posts: 6401 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ouch Eeker

I would imagine that insurance companies are going to ask a premium for aluminum paneled vehicles in the very near future...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew it would be high after I had a little dent repaired with not parts cost 1k. But 16k ouch! The new glues and chauking they use is amazing now to get around welding.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Opus1,

rather a bold assumption for someone with the amount of experience you have here in America...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you speaking of Show Ponies or Insurance companies....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, what exactly happened to this truck? I've been thinking of a new f150, but yeah that aluminum has it's plus and minuses.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deployed airbag and radiator pushback indicates rapid frontal deceleration.

I wonder what the resell value is going to be on these vehicles?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You have to lift the cab off to work on the engine, typical Ford style ?

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 2016 f-150 lariat.

I am pretty happy with it. Drives good, 20 mpg, massive interior space and can tow and haul more than I need.

I have a truck bedside and cover so I can't really haul a lot. But the limited hauling I do is very comfortable. My whole bed slides out.

I have 4x4 but I not really going to take 60k pickup for serious off-roading. Its fine in most hunting situations.

If I was really going to do heavy hauling or off roading with a truck I would get a used truck. If you are going to beat up something get a used one to beat up.

The next gm truck will be aluminum too

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/...l-bite-th-1781316646

The weight savings are just massive and the boost to potential fuel economy will move more trucks to aluminum.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We'll soon see. But after all the talk about aluminum I remembered something from the dim past .
Some time in the 1950s there was a radio ad for the aluminum industry. I thought it a bit strange at the time .
What I remember of the ad was a tune with the words "dum,dum, dum, dum, aluminum !!! [spell it as you wish ! faint

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
I have a 2016 f-150 lariat.

I am pretty happy with it. Drives good, 20 mpg, massive interior space and can tow and haul more than I need.

I have a truck bedside and cover so I can't really haul a lot. But the limited hauling I do is very comfortable. My whole bed slides out.

I have 4x4 but I not really going to take 60k pickup for serious off-roading. Its fine in most hunting situations.

If I was really going to do heavy hauling or off roading with a truck I would get a used truck. If you are going to beat up something get a used one to beat up.

The next gm truck will be aluminum too

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/...l-bite-th-1781316646

The weight savings are just massive and the boost to potential fuel economy will move more trucks to aluminum.

Mike

Mike I read the article you posted and it said GM most likely will use aluminum skins some day but there has been no official announcement from GM that they will use aluminum skins.

Is there an official announcement that GM is using aluminum beds in their new trucks?

Confused

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen that information elsewhere , you might search Jalopnik

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 2018 the article (2014) says they will use aluminum skin but didn't not say how much and where. I haven't seen any official announcement from GM.

http://www.autonews.com/articl...ate-2018-report-says

Interesting... But sure wouldn't want one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Explains why ford is going aluminum in its trucks

http://www.fool.com/investing/...-2017-super-dut.aspx

Anyone doing real hauling in North America where these trucks are sold uses a trailer.

Ford F-150 is also the number One selling luxury vechile in the us. More f-150 are sold than any other vechile in the $50k and higher price range.

The truck on photo is a higher end model - platinum, king ranch or lariat - they don't have retractable running boards on lower end models.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's what Edmund's has to say about the aluminum F-150...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jo...r-bill/#327a46bb4e9b