Find
Notify
Tools

New to me Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
I bought a used 08 Unlimited Rubicon that other than a leveling kit is bone stock and I must say it is amazingly well equipped. If any of you are shopping used 4x4's you should deffinately check these out!

It has electric lockers front and rear, selectable sway bar disconnect, traction control that can be disabled at the push of a button,4:1 low range, and 4:10 gears in the diff's. Have only had it on the road as I've only had it a couple days and am working on shift but had it snow about 6" overnight and it handled in the rutted snow better than I expected.

My previous (still hanging on to it) was a 4Runner Limited and I thought it was quite good. It has a selectable locker in the rear, and it always seemed to get where I had to go but it was harder to drive in the ruts. It has nearly 240k miles now and needs some deep TLC to make it truly reliable again, but this new Jeep flat out has me impressed. My boys will get the 4Runner to use and I'll probably take it hunting over the new one but bone stock the Rubicon is pretty impressive. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can imagine how nice that is! I had an "07"
Wrangler, with a 6 speed. The thing would go like a mountain goat! Plenty of power too! I loved it! Wife hated it! She bitched the whole time I owned it, I finally got tired of it and traded her off! (The jeep, not the wife) Sometimes I wonder if I made the right decission????

Posts: 117 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 30 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
She bitched the whole time I owned it, I finally got tired of it and traded her off! (The jeep, not the wife) Sometimes I wonder if I made the right decission????

LOL!

I'm still as thrilled as can be with the way it works. I have spent thousands trying to make old jeeps into what this one is stock.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Rubicons also have high strength axle upgrades, FWIW.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does the 08 have the trail ready package? Those are sweet. The really bad thing about the Rubicon is that you don’t get to spend several years and several thousands of dollars building it. tu2

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
It's wearing the badge but I don't know what the other models have. This one has electric lockers front & rear, electric swaybar disconnect, 4:1 transfercase, and traction control override.
It still needs a lift, wheels & tires, bumpers, winch, rocksliders, Performance programmer (5.3LS down the road?) and a cage before I'll quit.
4x4's are rarely finished! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nate,

I just finished building a bumper for my uncles Rubicon and mounting a winch on it. He left yesterday for a couple months in Colorado. He had 33 inch tires installed on it and when I drove it a couple of times it was lacking for power. Tires Too Big.

I got him to go back to 31's and it drives down the highway now without ever down shifting. Food for thought. He never did tell me what gears his has. My home made Jeep has 5:38 gears and handles the 37's fine. But I am going back to 35's because it is easier to get into. (Older and….. well my wife don’t like the height.)

The guys at the Jeep shop I frequent let me try a couple of different programmers and I could not tell any difference in performance at all. Actually my uncle told me that with the Superchip Programmer, his fuel mileage actually went down. The Jeep shops guys also told me that they had tried every programmer out there and now all their TJ'S are all back to stock program. FYI.

Good Luck with your Build.

If I can assist just send me a PM

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
My Rubi has 4:10's stock. I'm thinking about a programmer and TBI from RPM extreme for now, and will probablly do a supercharger next year. The HP increase should put it close to a stock 5.3 LS swap at less than half the cost.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
4:10s will handle the 33 inch tire's without any problem.

Supercharger will be interesting that is for sure.

Hve fun with it.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nate,

I had the pleasure of spending nine days in Stanley a few years back. I wished that I had my jeep with me the whole time we were there.

I used to think that there were not any mountains any more majestic than the Tetons that is until I saw the Sawtooths.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"