New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody tried a lockright?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 99 4-runner, or as they are called here in Japan, a hilux surf. I have 5 inches of lift and run 285/75/16 tires. The rear end is light and I get stuck in snow fairly easy even with bf mud terrains. So I am going to lock up the rear axle somehow, but I am not sure I want to pay $1200 for an ARB air locker.

What do you think of those lunch bucket types of lockers, like lock-right? Worth the money? How about side hilling? Losing the anchor tire is a bitch I heard, any first hand experiences?
Thanks in advance

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MY main 4x4 use with my 4x4 (an older Ford Ranger that I drive year round) is running in snow...

I run clutch type limited slips in both axles
(a Ford 8.8" in the back with Ford's disc type limited slip
and a Dana35 axle in the front witha dana limited slip)

Lockers are frankly trecherous in the snow.

For snow the BEST traction aiding differential is one of the worm gear differentials, because that is the specific application they were designed for.

The Zexel Torsen should be available for your 4-runner's axle and not nearly as spendy as the austrailian made ARB.

Nor will it require a source of compressed air to operate it
like the ARB.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a loc-rite locker in a 3/4 ton dodge pickup. I put it in right after I bought the truck.
the factor limited slip was a joke.
I traded the truck in with 190k on the clock. Not a bit of trouble with the locker. If it makes any difference the truck had the cummins engine and I pulled quite heavy most of the time. made a huge difference. No more getting stuck on wet grass trying to go up a hill. I would get a nother in a heartbeat.
My present truck has a different type axle and no complaints so far. clap

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I posted above I have aquired Lockright diffs, they remain uninstalled, because I've decided my current 4.10 gears are actually too grabby for the engine I'm running and the way I actually use my truck.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in the front diff of my hi lux ,but its heaps harder to steer when your in 4wd ,much more than i anticipated it would be ,its just seems to stay ''locked '' and doesnt unlock at all .The ARB is the best of the lot, and if you are going to keep your vehicle a long i think its far better ,i dont think its a big deal you need an aicompressor to operate it .ARB is far more convenient and useful ,best of all worlds

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote