Find
Notify
Tools

Different kind of trophy.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
These little guys used to be all over Texas when I was a kid in the 50's. I really enjoy finding them now just so I will know that they are still around.

While making my rounds on Wednesday saw this little character.

He was on the edge of the road so I herded him back out into the grass. I ran over one last year about this time in the same area.

Got him back on his merry way into the pasture.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I lived in El Paso for a few years when my Dad was at Ft. Bliss and we used to catch Horned Toads all the time. I hope they continue to be plentiful.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Non-native red ants are the demise of them.

When I was a kid in Wyoming we had tons. I don't know how they are doing anymore, but the nonnative red ants were the biggest problem.

Good old Wyoming black ants just got gobbled up, these guys would go after the reds and the entire swarm would sting them and kill them.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen one in years, like you said, they used to be very common.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
They are just wonderful little animals, and cute as buttons.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
it's nice to see one again. when i was a kid in breckenridge, tx, they were all over the place. i use to have to dodge the little quarter size ones when i mowed the yard. i haven't seen one in about 15 years.

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I first moved to Colorado in the 70's they were fairly common. I bet I haven't seen one in the last 15 years. You have to start wondering when animals start disappearing in your own life time? On the other hand we now have elk and deer in places I never saw them back then.
C.G.B.