New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone done a Photobook?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have any of you done a photobook, rather than a traditional picture album? I am looking at online services and trying to figure out how to do this.
Thanks

Posts: 10203 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat, after our june 07 african plains game hunt my daughter in law took select photos from about 300, then "blended" those photos with the journals of my son and I...matched the photos to the journal page...then had one of the "drugstore shops" print and hard bind it. We are satisfied, had enough made to send to family and friends. Not sure this is what you meant, but worked for us....invite to go to Hackberry Flat this spring still open.
jmr

One of Us
posted Hide Post
THanks, that is exactly what I am talking about. Is it hard or time consuming to do? I have several diaries and lot so pics to do something with.

Hackberry Flats is a special place, may come down for some serious birding.

Posts: 10203 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat, my son and daughter in law will be here the day after christmas...I'll ask her for all the details..it wasn't too hard for my son and I..we just picked out the photos..she did all the work in setting up the pics to match the journal pages...Ours is about 35 pages, several full page color photos, several pages with more than one photo...our printed journal pages opposite the photo page...cost was not cheap, but not unreasonable..the first book was maybe $70 subsequent books were less...size is 8.5X11 hope this helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done it a few times. I used www.mypublisher.com It is very easy and the final product comes out looking GREAT. Tons of layouts and choices. I highly recommend it.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second mypublisher.com - I've used it for several book and other projects, and they all came out great.

Posts: 76 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I sent away a 30 page "My Publisher" book to be printed yesterday. I'll let you know the outcome in about a week.

I really like the software. There's not a lot of user instructions but it's a very intuitive package. The "undo" button lets you play with almost everything to learn to use the individual features. There's even a photo editor of sorts including enhancement.

Misspellings are highlighted and photos with too little resolution are framed in red for identification for replacement. It has the capability to customize page layout from one to multiple photos as well as text. And, finally, you can use it to make cards, calendars, etc. in addition to books.

Pricing is about $1.50 per page for a printed copy with dust jacket with photos and text on the flaps.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My daughter did one for me using www.shutterfly.com. It cost about $50 I think. It is hard bound with a map of Namibia on the front and a sunset on the back. It has beautiful paper inside that the pictures are printed on and she has a narrative under each picture. Wish I had gotten several and sent one to my PH. It gets cheaper for the second and third one

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife has done several for me using snapfish.com. She always adds some extra verbage to each page along with maps, etc for extra content. They are hard bound, cheap, and look cool sitting on my office desk.

Posts: 55 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
The "My Publisher" book I uploaded on December 26 was received today. The quality is exceptional!

The dust jacket, coated photo quality paper pages, parchment front and back end papers are all top quality throughout. Even one lower resolution photo looks good.

Based on this sample of one - "My Publisher" is highly recommended.

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
I have used My Publisher and end product was fantastic.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Some of my African Ph's at the Eastern sports show had some of those photo books totally awesome...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did on through Apple and it turned out great, cost was about $50.00. It is hard bound with jacket cover and about 30 pages with glossy pages and color pictures.

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
retreever,

I saw those books at the Eastern Sportsmen show. The outfitter told me they were done in South Africa. They were beautiful, over sized and very nicely bound.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
I have used shutterfly and blurb.com
Blurb allows much larger photos and books and I liked it better. The book was around $80.00 maybe. I have not heard of mypublisher but I may try it next.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I hope they are good. I just ordered two from mypublisher.com and they should arrive next week. Amazing that I ordered one night and it printed and shipped the next day.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
You will be pleasantly surprised. I've been asked for copies by all of my family. As a reslt, I'm placing my order for the second edition!

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
It looks great - I did order 2 copies - got the buy one get one free coupon - and am thoroughly pleased. The cost was $51. I got a $20 coupon in the mail from them with this order and definitely will be making another book. They are fantastic; much more pleasurable to look through than my normal albums...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To answer my own post, I have now done three via MyPublisher. All have turned out great. I like them and will continue to put my hunting pics and stories together in a book. It is better than a photo album.

One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
I have a long diary that I want to include with my photos. Does anyone have any recommendations for a word intensive photobook? I like the mypublisher software but I can't select a font smaller than 15 pt. This means that I really can't include too many words on a page.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
dla69,
I believe the new version of My Publisher (ver 3.2) which they just released a few days ago has a feature in the very beginning where you select a photobook which has a diary type format and you can include more text and less photos. Feel free to call them on the 800 number or email them, they are based in USA (out of NY I believe) and are very very helpful.

One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
I used BookSmart from blurb.com to create my photobook. It had many more options for text layouts. The quality of the final product was outstanding. I'll use them again.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote