Find
Notify
Tools

Beware: Pythiosis
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted
My dog, Tyler (female GSP, 6 yrs old) was diagnosed with Pythiosis about 6 weeks ago. I was completely unaware of the ailment previously. It's a nasty infection, either intestinal (in Tyler's case) or on the skin, caused by mold spores. Predominantly found in the Gulf Coast states but has occurred elsewhere. The prognosis is poor even in the best of circumstances. Early diagnosis and treatment is critical.

Go to www.pythiosis.com or do a Google search. Tyler had the usual symptoms of diarrhea and vomiting and she refused all food. The telltale symptom is rapid weight loss. Tyler lost 30% of her body weight in a week. It was like she was melting before my eyes.

She seems to be responding to an immunotherapy serum. Her weight has stabilized, she is active and has a healthy appetite. I know though her long term prognosis remains poor.

I'm posting this just as a head's up. If your dog is a working water retriever or likes to play and swim in the water, they are at risk. Your vet likely won't have much experience diagnosing or treating the disease. If your dog has the symptoms I described above or has a skin lesion that looks like a fungal infection, ask for a pythiosis test.

I've had quite an education on the disease and treatment options in the last six weeks. I hope none of you and your dogs have to go through this.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wishing you and your dog the best. Thanks for the heads up. Never heard of it before.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Forrest, this is just wretched. Hoping Tyler beats the odds, poor guy.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16411 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I thought I would provide an update. Tyler seems to have beat the odds. She has regained her weight and stamina. Her digestive tract isn't 100% but is getting progressively better. Most of the research vets I spoke with said her prognosis was grave when she was diagnosed. She is just as active and crazy as she was before...runs like a deer and swims like a fish. I chalk up her survival to the immunotherapy, prayers and boundless love she gets at home.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to hear the good news.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote