THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOG FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Dogs    Advice needed on aging lab.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice needed on aging lab.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sam is 14-15 years (was a rescue). He defecates without knowing, and I constantly clean up after him. He walks with difficulty, cannot stand straight up and walks with rear end leaning to side, takes along time to go through sitting process from a standing position, seems to have bladder control, has lost much weight - although I feed him well and he eats. His hearing is gone. I love him. He has been and is my pal. What can I do for him? Putting him down is not yet an option; he enjoys lying in the warm sun and contact with me, plus treats. Thanks.
Alex

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Been there done that. Sounds like my first lab. Most of us love our dogs and keep putting off the decision to put them down. I finally made up my mind to put my first lab (I'm on #4 now) down as soon as the ground thawed and I could dig a grave for her. Before I had to actually follow through, she died naturally. Digging a grave in frozen ground only made the experience worse.

You may want to talk to your vet to see if there are any medications to comfort your buddy during the last phase of his life.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2300 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Until the time is right to ease his pain and suffering, it sounds like you are doing the right thing. Give the love and attention back to him that he has given to you. Tough situation to be in.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
My wife and i had to put down our 14 year old Lab cross last spring. She went from boisterous 85 pounds to a very decrepit 50 pounds in less than four months.

Give him love and attention and he'll let you know when it's time to let go.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, gentlemen.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If you aren't doing anything yet for pain, my dogs always respond well to asprin. Seems to work better for them than for humans.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your post brings tears to my eyes---and it has been over 25 years ago when I was in your situation.

Do what is best for your dog. Prayers are with you buddy.

Posts: 193 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
he enjoys lying in the warm sun and contact with me, plus treats.

That's what he wants! Don't worry about the pooping and the peeing, humans have that problem too, when they get old!
Love never ends!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hairbol
posted Hide Post
I was told once by a very wise dog loving friend to make a list of the 10 favorite things your dog loves to do. When the things he loves to do get down to the last couple it's time. I've shared this with a lot of folks and they've all found it valuable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am faceing the same delema with my old chessie and have decided that when she can't stand on Her own or is in more pain I will put her down. I had a vet do accupuncture on he and it helped. Buffered asprin also helps.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We went through the same thing this past spring...did exactly what you are doing. Our vet told us to use Ibuprofen, it made some of her days easier. Swore every spring when I had to clean the 'stuff' off the deck, what I wouldn't give for those days now.

One morning went to get her up and she didn't even try to stand and the sparkle in her eye was gone.

You'll know when it is time, or they will let you know.

Enjoy any time you have with them!

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Again.....thanks to you all.

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I lost my 15year old Weimaraner on Christmas last year.

It sounds like you are going through the same thing with Sam as I saw with my dog Thunder.

They can go fast.

Watch him. I can tell you this - Thunder told me it was time.

I'm sure with your connection to him, he will tell you when it's time.

Best wishes in this difficult time for you.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NavyVet
posted Hide Post
I lost my girl, Rickie, 3 yrs ago. She was a lab cross and my best friend. She was so old when she died. I don't know how old cuz I picked her up as a stray in 1996. At the end, she was deaf and blind and didn't have any teeth. So, I fed her wet dog food. One morning she wouldn't get up. I was too selfish to put her down. I made her a pallet in my bedroom and moved her inside. She died with me sitting next to her on her pallet. I have never replaced her.
Good luck with this.

NRA life member, thanks to Steve. Smiler

Running on empty...

Posts: 250 | Location: God's Country | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
14 is about it for lab give or take a year or two.

Spend lots of money on him.

Personaly when a dog is that old I belive it worst to keep them going. Are you doing it for the dog or yourselve

I belive I had to put down all my labs about then hips ect start to go.

When they can't take care of them selves thats when I put them down.

I have dug holes in the fall knowning that during the winter I would have to shoot the dog.

To dig a hole in forzen ground cover the area in 4 or 6 inchs of charcoal lite it cover it with a piece of tin. leave it sit burning for 24hrs then one can dig.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I was in the OP's position last year and lost Sugar on May 31, 2011 to natural causes, and it was a blessing because I couldn't have had her put down. She would have been 16 on October 9th.

My advice is to love Sam and make his final days as comfortable as possible. I know what you are going through having to clean up after him is a pain now, but you will be glad you had the time with him in the long run.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
One poster suggested accupuncture. I have to agree. My vet is about to finish her exams and become certified. She's been 'practicing' on my animals and I can definitely see the difference. My Demonstration horse has been a bit off and she just did him last night. I know that I'll now be able to demo him this weekend thanks to her and those needles. Worth a shot anyway... Sorry for your situation.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a solid diagnosis from your vet so you can make a good decision. We typically do a geriatric work up on these senior citizens which includes a complete blood count, chemistry profile and radiographs.There are a lot of good treatment modalities available to help these patients live out there last years without suffering.Thanks for caring!

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your situation my friend. Ive raised Golden retreivers for just over 30 years now. Many hunting companions and some were just great pets for the kids. The hardest one to lose was the one that i should have put down months earlier and just couldnt bring myself to do it. One morning i let her out of the house for her morning duty call and she barely could make it out the door. I knew she was have a hard time. This story donesnt end well... damn if she didnt just wander away and pass on by her self. Dont think ill ever forgive myself for not dong the right thing when i should have. My eyes are wet right now while typing. Damn.... she deserved much better than that. I know she was trying to save me the grief and trouble but it was a bad deal none the less. Good luck and prayers for you and your best friend.

Posts: 94 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 08 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I know all this is common among pet owners. Sam has always been a gentleman and a best friend. He has suffered indignities (cats, puppies and children) with grace. I help him get up and moving when he struggles, and make sure he gets the food he enjoys and benefits his old body, as well as a small collection of supportive meds. I appreciate all your kind thoughts.

One of Us
Picture of Liam Mark Slattery
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hairbol:
I was told once by a very wise dog loving friend to make a list of the 10 favorite things your dog loves to do. When the things he loves to do get down to the last couple it's time. I've shared this with a lot of folks and they've all found it valuable.

Very good idea,well done

Military Police

Posts: 32 | Location: Rep. of Ireland | Registered: 01 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sactoller
posted Hide Post
Having just put my girl down, today....The best thing you can do for them is to not let them suffer.

It ain't easy...I have never cried so much, as I have the past two days.

Jason Z Alberts

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you." – Samuel Adams

Posts: 347 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The glucosamine preparations are usually useful and accupuncture is certainly worth a try with someone who knows his stuff.
Most ol ddogs will respond enough to these alternatives enough to make them worthwhile.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote