New
Find
Notify
Tools

my dog is going home
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
as I sit here hardly able to type this it is 11:00 A.M. and in 4 1/2 hours I will have to take my 12 year old Lab Nikki to the Vet to put her to sleep, in the past I have only taken the dogs in and left them and never looked back. this girl though is special, she is the friendliest fun loving dog and the best hunting partner I have ever had. when I went to look for a puppy I had the breeder put all the pups down and I sat on the ground watching them looking for the one that would walk up to me and choose me, not me choosing her. she was so easy to train and could be a little stubborn testing me, but in the end I was her world and she would sit and cry my wife would tell me if I did not let her go outside with me. everyday we would to the mailbox and during Pheasant season I would carry the 12 gauge as she would always put up a bird. she was even known one night to go out at 11:00 P.M. and catch a Pheasant and bring it into the house for my wife to take (that did not go over well), but in the last year arthritis has taken over her front legs and twice in the last couple months she has lost the use of her hind legs for awhile and is now having trouble breathing and panting all the time. she is not eating or drinking well so the time has come to put her to sleep and ease her pain. I will miss her greatly and do not think at my age (70) that I will get another dog that would be as good as she is. so it is time to stop typing as I can hardly see the words thru teary eyes good by Nikki I love you

Posts: 197 | Location: Stickney,So Dakota | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's hard to read your post, because the time for my female Lab is also getting near to say good by to her

Posts: 322 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Take solace in the fact that you provided her with a great life. I had to do that with three Labs and the last one was also named Nikki. I have two Labs now. Sage will be 13 in March but I can see she doesn't have much time left. I bought a pup last year at age 75. The youngster did great on Pheasants last year at 8 months. Remember nothing takes away the pain of losing a good dog but a puppy helps.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2292 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I hate reading these threads…my heart goes out to you.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
She'll be at the Rainbow Bridge

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process" - George Bird Evans

Sorry for your loss.....never easy to say goodbye to a friend

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know how you feel, my lab went over the bridge at 15 1/2.

But like all true friends, they won't be gone until they're forgotten.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well the pain of her being gone is so bad I see her everywhere, have never been affected like this before so I am now looking for another Lab, I am shocked at the prices I see for a pup 1200-2000 is crazy I am not looking for a show dog. just want a good friend and a partner to take out the front door and hunt pheasants with. I have not even hunted them this year just no desire even though I look out the window and see birds, just counted 74 the other day by my targets, so hopefully soon I will find my friend

Posts: 197 | Location: Stickney,So Dakota | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
My wee girl is 2yrs and 7months old now and baring accidents or illness, with me at 72+, she could outlast me but in any event will be my last hunting companion .
She is a great little hunter in water or on land and a tireless smooch with kids. While I have had larger curly coated and golden retrievers over the years, the springer is a great size for around home and in vehicles etc., and doesn't give anything away in terms of stamina and strength to haul in big birds.
Really missed her while we were away over the Xmas New year period and she was in kennels. An affectionate favourite of the kennel staff.

Yes pups are not inexpensive now, my springer cost NZ$2000 when I got her as a weened pup back in 2021.

Best wishes on your quest to find another faithful companion to share your hunting days with.

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find it harder to lose a dog than a person. It's the only time I've cried in my adult life.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I lost my shorthair prematurely 2 yrs ago and was devastated thinking he would be my last. I really thought I was too old to get another but my friends told me not so. I went up to SD and got an 8 mo. old male started dog and had him finished. I will never forget the other three I've had but this one was a beacon in a dark tunnel. I look at him and see where he could outlive me and have made a provision that he will be well taken care of.
When I was a kid growing up in rural KS there was a man that had a pet farm raising and selling small dogs yorkies,poodles,schnauzers, etc. I worked during two summers feeding, watering and cleaning and when caught up I would help sell some. He told me that when people would come that had just lost a dog and asked what to do, he said the best thing to do is get another. Granted, he would benefit but aside from that I believe it was also sound advice.
As far as the price of the dog, it really is the cheapest part of owning one. As you can tell, I am a huge dog lover. Take your time but fill the hole.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good dogs die to soon.

Bad dogs tend hang around to long.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M old cow dog, a 14 year old Aussi is going blind and deaf, I know his time is near and I know they don't live as long as we do, but dread the day, I love that dog, He has been my shadow for those 14 years..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am shocked at the prices I see for a pup 1200-2000 is crazy I am not looking for a show dog. just want a good friend and a partner to take out the front door and hunt pheasants with.

That seems to be about the going price these days. I bought my current lab in April 2022 and paid $1,500 for her as a pup. She's from field trial lines and has matured into a great pheasant dog.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2292 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going through this right now. Thirteen year old Jack Russell. Vet said Lymphoma, basically cancer of the glands the way he explained. He sleeps quite a bit and has lost his appetite. He will eat on occassion but not much. He's not in any pain just yet so I agreed to some medication. I'm not going to put him through chemo at his age. DR agreed with me. I was able to bring him home after a series of all day at the vet tests. The sad part was when I got home his sister Wendy kept looking for her brother to follow me in. I left him for the day. As did Inca our German Shepard. He lays on my lap quite a bit. I think he know his time is running out. I dread this, already trying to prepare my self for the future. It hurts really bad, judt the thought og it!

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well I have said for a long time I would never get another dog after putting Nikki down but the lost was to great and I had to get another Lab so last Saturday we picked up a little 8 week old Yellow Lab, the first day I had him fetching balls and going in a kennel box and now we are best buddies he follows me everywhere I go, he is quite the fireball but he will be a good dog and hunting companion

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you stepped across. You'll both benefit greatly. You never forget the one(s) before but it does take the sting out and takes your focus forward because they're totally dependent on you. They are all different in their own way. Enjoy!

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss. I’ve lost friends and I’ve cried more for dogs. No idea why.

My Golden, Brandy, is 13 now and over the last few years I’d take her out with my Setter once a year to a preserve just to give her a day afield. Did that earlier this month and won’t again. She got lost and confused. I could see her but she could see or hear me so I had to haul ass to get her before she got real lost. She did get to jump a couple birds her brother pointed and we half him back so she could retrieve a bird.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote