THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOG FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Dogs    Wirehaired Pointing Griffon

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone have experience with Griffs? I just put a downpayment on a female pup. Should see it August 1st.
Griffs are the only sporting dog my wife is not allergic to. I hunt grouse, pheasant, rabbit,& duck. Seem good around people/kids. Hunted behind one once, real worker & eager to please.
Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sitka,

how do you know that your wife is not allergic to Griffon?

I find this hard to believe since they are a dual coated and sometime triple coated breed.

posted Hide Post
Norseman:

When I went to a local breeder I took a small baggie of hair back. The dual coat comes off in clumps. We rubbed it on her arm where she would get an allergy test done. Then stuck it in her shirt pocket for the day.
Not very professional, but no reaction.

One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
I've had a male WPG for almost six years. Great dog. Very Smart, great with kids, very willing in the field, relentless actually. We couldn't have asked for a better dog.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had two Griffs over the years and both were one man dogs, had exceptional noses and lived to hunt. Onee was an awesome duck and goose retriever and the other was great on forest grouse.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My late father brought some of the first of the breed west of the Mississippi many years ago. I was raised with these great dogs...thought all meals were to be taken on all fours until I was 5. Wink

In my estimation, the Griffon Club got their newsletter name just right, "Gundog Supreme". I'm in several mid to late 1950's editions with my dad, our Griffons Rip and Lady, and a bunch of hard earner wild Nevada chucker.

There is no "quit" in the breed, they point instinctively, retrieve well, have webbed feet and an undercoat for swimming in cold water, and a typical German hard head that can make them relentless hunters. They are loyal family dogs, but they tend to be somewhat protective of their family.

You did well to choose a WPG. beer

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt with Korthals Griffon for the last three years. A great companion, great with children, intelligent, strong on pointing, good fast retriever, helluva character, does as he's told.

Posts: 337 | Location: Devon UK | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote