THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOG FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Dogs    Whats in your dogs first aid kit?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats in your dogs first aid kit?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, I learned a valuable lesson last night; always carry a first aid kit for your dog.

In a nutshell, I was hunting forest grouse, I had hiked in approximately 2 miles, up hill, bush whacking, no trail. I happened to look over at my 7 mo. old DD, and notices that she was bleeding quite bad from her front leg, just below the elbow. Further inspection, it was actually spurting out blood about 6 inches. I had nothing, not even a knife. I grabbed the collar off of my black lab that was there with me and made a tourniquet right below the shoulder. I took off my shirt and using a stick, ripped it into strips and tied them tightly around the wound. Through her on my shoulder, and shirtless I hiked out. It took about 1 1/2 hours. When I made it back to the truck, my head, back and neck was covered in blood and she was very woozy, couldn’t stand up.

Luckily I had a tarp and through in on the inside of my truck on the passenger seat, and off we went. She wouldnt eat dog food, but ate a little bit of a roast beef subway sandwich. It was 1/2 hour to get phone reception. Called the emergency vet, this was about 8PM. He told me to take off the tourniquet (it should only be on for no more than 20 min). Made it to the vet, hour long surgery to cut 4 inch incision to get to the artery. 20 sutures and a big pile of cash we made it home.

Moral of the story, always take a first aid kit when in the field. I actually have one just for this situation and like a dumb ass didn’t bring it.

Question? Whats in your dogs first aid kit? Mine has:
• 3 ft parachute cord
• Gauze
• medical tape
• EMT gel
• 2 in strips of cotton cloth (old cut up tee shirt)
• knife

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought (2) first aid kits. one for the boat, one for the truck. I added EMT gel, surgical staplers benedril pills and aspirin.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vet wrap
gauze
EMT gel
Stapler
knife-always on my hip in the woods
Ace wrap

I think that's it though I should add a length of parachute cord.

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well? How's she doin'?

Posts: 10025 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keg of brandy. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Well? How's she doin'?

She is fine. A weird kinda bonding happened after she started feeling better. She was very melo, and wouldnt leave my side. She jumped up on the kitchen table and came over and gave me a hug. Even 2 1/2 weeks later, her temperment has changed. She now lays under my desk when I am on the computer. Gotta love em.

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A stapler is a good idea but its not the first option. With serious wounds, you're far better off to clean, pack and compress and get to a vet.
A 16 oz bottle of simple saline solution, packing gauze and wrap is the right way to go on deep punctures and lacerations. The staple gun is really seldom used in the field and then you have to know what to staple and what to leave open sometimes.

Posts: 1313 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EMT Gel.

Jim Koustas

Niassaland Safaris
Hunt Logic
www.huntlogic.com

E-mail:jim@huntlogic.com

Posts: 71 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just saw this thread. Excellent topic and something I just had not thought of. Of course, you have to have it with you! What is EMT gel and where do you get it?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Just saw this thread. Excellent topic and something I just had not thought of. Of course, you have to have it with you! What is EMT gel and where do you get it?
Peter.

I don't know how you'de describe it technically but it's a very good blood stop/second skin ointment. I use it on my dog and myself. Especially useful on the fingers where bandaids aren't practical. I've read many reviews of people pumping it into a bleeding wound and it stopped the bleeding and most likely saved the dogs life.

You can get it in alot of sporting goods/hunting stores in the dog section. Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, etc. carry it. Do a search and find all the places it's sold. I highly recommend it.

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Axel, thanks! Will do.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
Very good topic,Sir!

Having a tracking dog here in Africa is almost as important as having a set of Bino's. They really do become like children, plus my clients want to stick my Jack Russel into their bag after almost every trip.

I just have the regular first aid kit for humans. It has everything in there that you would need. I also carry anti venom for snakes in a coolerbox. The snake bite anti venom is for the dog, but will work for humans as well. Only difference is that the dog has to take it intraveneous, and humans can take it straight in the ass.

Thanks again for the thread!

Best Regards
Marius Goosen

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1362 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me add a couple items for bird dogs. I think they're called "hemostats"? Can be used for pulling porcupine quills, sticker removal, etc. I also carry a saline solution that I wash the dogs eyes out daily with. Remember, they're low to the ground and pick up a lot of trash in their eyes. We carry PAM for spraying a dog prior to hunting fields for fast burr removal. I also carry collapsible water bowls, made from plastic that fold up in my pockets. I carry white medical tape for binding wounds and if a dog hasn't had their dew claws removed this often is very helpful in securing the claws in preparation for return to town and the vet. I carry some antibiotic cream that I got from my vet for barb wire cuts, etc. Hope this helps.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote