Find
Notify
Tools

My "Liz"
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Foxhunter223
posted
Since Eagle27 showed us his I thought I would show you mine.
This is my Liz.

Pete

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern NSW Australia | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
She looks awful sweet and happy there. Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love Springers. If Pheasants run instead of hold, a Springer gets them in the air.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Foxhunter223
posted Hide Post
She is a very sweet wee dog mostly. She is incredibly head strong and smart.

Sadly we don't have pheasant here in Oz, but we do have rabbits which is what I hope to use her for.

She was my 2020 Christmas present from my wife. At 14 months of age she was being re-homed as the young couple who had her could not handle her. They in turn bought her from a private security firm who were supposedly training her for bomb detection work, she was 11 months old when they bought her. I took her to my gun room and she had no idea about any of the smells in that room.

I purchased Joe Irving's book Training Spaniels and wished I had of had that book for my first Springer 10 years ago. Cannot praise it enough. I allowed 6 to 12 months to get her field ready and she was done in 3 months.

Because of covid she has had one field trip and got to retrieve one rabbit. A property we would often shoot a couple hundred rabbits in a weekend was virtually bare of any rabbits because of Myxomatosis and calici virus.

Pete

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern NSW Australia | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Pete, we had a serious round of rabbit hemorrhagic disease here in the northern Chihuahuan desert of southern New Mexico a couple of years ago, but rabbit numbers have rebounded. They have many natural predators here, from rattlesnakes to coyotes, so they never seem to get too out of hand.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Foxhunter223
posted Hide Post
Bill,rabbits have been almost wiped out on every farm I hunt on. One place a couple years ago we shot 999 in two weekends, now you would be lucky to see any. But I would think like your experience in NM they will come back in numbers to be worth while hunting for. I hope so anyway as I have put a lot of time into Liz and want to experience hunting with her.

Pete