Find
Notify
Tools

Long Distance Bullet Seating
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
I've just put together a series of load for my 308 Sako varmint, inspired by this thread.

I have used the stoney point tool, the cleaning rod method and the marker-pen-and-patience and now have 3 rounds in each powder weight increment up to max.

I have seated the bullets, 155gr SMK-not the Palma version, to *just* kiss the rifling.

Should I seat them 10 thou in, 20 thou in or some other figure?

They are there on bench waiting chaps! Big Grin

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some guys say .010" INTO the rifling for load testing with target rifles.

Some guys say jump a certain distance.

Since you have them "just kissing", I would seat them down .020" and run the tests.

Audette style or groups?

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Groups, the rifle's too accurate for Ladder loads at 200 yards and that's the only distance my club is shooting at this week.

20 thou off you reckon?

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Ten thou in would hardly leave an bullet in the case apart from the boat-tail, perhaps about 25thou of shank.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you limited by magazine length?

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
No sir, I can seat these particular bullets around 25 thou into the lands and still fit in the magazine.