Find
Notify
Tools

advice pointers etc
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello All,

I'm getting ready to start reloading and shooting for a 300wsm. I understand that this rifle has the capabilities for long range shooting, depending on my abilities LOL. I was wondering if anyone is willing to share some pointers on load components and shooting components that would help me get to the long range level faster. I'm comfortable out to 450-500 yds. I want to push myself to see if i can get that 800 and up mark.

thanks for your comments in advance.

Posts: 35 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with the WSM cartridge line. One friend has a 243 in the WSSM persuasion. It is my understanding these cartridges are capable of generating velocities that would allow for longer range shooting without having to break out the artillery tables.

Generally, I prefer heavier for caliber bullets when shooting out to and past the half-mile mark as these tend to retain more momentum upon arrival. I shoot a .300 Win Mag and I'm not sure you can move the larger bullets without driving pressures extremely high.

I would have to say that by the lack of responses; this is not a popular caliber in the long range shooting circles. You may want to post over in the North American hunting forum and see if anyone over there has any experiences and knowledge to share with you.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response. I will check out the other forums and see if i can find one that will better fit my questions.

Thanks again.

Posts: 35 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post