New
Find
Notify
Tools

is it possible?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i met a guy at work that says he's got a rem. 700 (.308)that has a two stage trigger and has been glass bedded. that all that has been done to the gun. he says that he can shoot a 1000 yard group (3 shots) and cover them with a silver dollar shooting off a bipod. is this possible? we've set up a little shoot off with another guy at work that has a fully custom gun (6mmbr). bat action, shelin barrel, jewel trigger 1.5oz, with a nightforce scope. the shoot off will happen at 600 yards and there will be some money involved. i know by buddy with the 6mmbr can shoot under a inch at 600 on a good day. does the guy with the 308 have a prayer?

Posts: 91 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 17 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the guy with the 308 can shoot like he talks then of course he has a prayer. Let us know how the shoot off goes and the excuses they use for not having such tiny groups. I need some new ones.

Posts: 197 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The group sizes you are talking about are more statistical anomlies than anything (better than the norm over a bunch of shots). You'll find out when you have your competition.

3 shots are really not indicative of what can be expected all of the time.

I think that the record group at 1000 yards is something like a little over 3" and at 600 a little over an inch. You'll have to do a search on it.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
It could happen. How many did he shoot to pick three?

Seriously, at 1K the X ring is 10 inches SR target. A silver dollar, tradional Eisenhower, is 1.5 inches. I tcould happen but I don't know if he could call it for three shoots.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a dollar that says the 308 guy comes down with the flu the day of the shoot off

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wistrapper:
I've got a dollar that says the 308 guy comes down with the flu the day of the shoot off

I'll throw in with you on that. popcorn Big Grin

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we're working 12 hrs a day 6 days a week right now as soon as we get a little break off were gonna give it a shot. hopefully it wont be long. i'll post back the results

Posts: 91 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 17 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I call him on it.
Take him to the Range.
If he can, you have a new shooting buddy.
If he can't he will shut up about it.
Either way you win.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
That is good logic. It's not often you get a win-win.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have offered many times to take guys to the range to show me how well they shoot. Eeker IE I shot a deer at 500 yards with my open sited 30-30 ect ect and I only have a short range 700 yards at max.

They don't show up.

I have helped lots of folks start shooting at past 100 yards they are simple amazed when they start hitting on a regular basic out past 300 yards.

A accurate rifle a good scope makes it lots of fun. Big Grin

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post