THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Got my first portable target built!

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got my first portable target built!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Welded it up this morning. I'd like to add some angled braces from the cross bar to the legs to add some more stability. Would have built another one but my mig welder quit working, and had a hard time not burning holes with the stick.

I need to build five more for all the 3/8" AR 500 plate I have. I've got two 10" and four 6" squares. The tailgate chain latches that I bought were a little long for my height but one wrap around the bar fixed that problem.

Posts: 2242 | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're going to shoot the chains in two! I have found that if you make a angle iron upright with a hole in it and then weld a bolt to the back of your target to hang it with. Leave the bolt loose and it will clang.

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Chad, I didn't know you are an old pro welder. It looks good. It should give good sound. Mine is too thick to "twang" it just thumps a swings about 4"

I built it a couple years ago from 1" thick AR400 welded to 1/2" x4 plate stock with a 15 degree downturn to deflect better. Slotted to dis-assemble.

It's built in two pieces because it's damn heavy and takes two trips to set-up.

It is 8" in diameter but looks really small at 300 yards.....that is the farthest I can shoot in the Ozark hills.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Ted!

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Chad, I didn't know you are an old pro welder.

Ted, I'm not! I just grew up on a farm so I've learned the art of grinding and starting over if needed. Sure wish the spool wouldn't keep bird nesting on my Miller, MIG is so much easier. I think I need a new liner for my welder.

Thanks for posing pictures as well, it will help me on my next build. I like the way your legs angle better should give a lot of stability. I only wish I would have paid attention in Geometry back in HS.

My plate does have a slight angle to help with deflection thanks to the hooks, but I'm thinking of buying some eye bolts to add a little more. I built this prett much out of scrap I found around Dad's farm. The only thing I bought was the chains and they were in a discount bin at a trailer store for $5 each. My set up weighs somewher between 25-30 pounds, the stand is much lighther than the plate.

Posts: 2242 | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the way I make my target stands. The small target is made from dirt pan blade from scrap yards. You can shoot it with just about anything. A SF buddy used these to train before going overseas.

Sam

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post