THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    New long range, range in Arizona.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New long range, range in Arizona.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm different. I FAR prefer sitting on the tailgate of my pick-up and not having to listen to an overzealous range-master, the range rats that wanna pick my stuff up.

All these places that these new ranges exist now, were places we shot at growing up. Problem was the influx of new shooters, without ethics, and a common respect for both the outdoors and the shooting sports.

They ruined it for us all.

These places are all very close to my home. I live close to Lake Pleasant.

Ben Avery is a nice range but its a goat-rope to go there, to busy, to loud etc. its also very close.

Berger Bullets is a sponsor of the new 1000 yard range just west of Ben Avery. It seems to only be open for competitions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E70KxFsJ08E&t=133s

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3397 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess I'm different. I FAR prefer sitting on the tailgate of my pick-up and not having to listen to an overzealous range-master, the range rats that wanna pick my stuff up.

+1
Problem with us in Las Vegas is that the shooters ruined it by leaving debris, shooting too close to homes and businesses, etc. etc. etc. Clark County then declared a vast majority of the County illegal to desert shooting, forcing nearly everyone to go to the Clark County Shooting Complex or pay an annual fee to Desert Sportsman's shooting complex-if you could even get a membership (very limited), or travel to Boulder City, Nevada to shoot at their range. Still, some are choosing to continue to travel a great distance outside of Vegas to shoot-but it's quite a drive, just one way.

Posts: 18537 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:

All these places that these new ranges exist now, were places we shot at growing up. Problem was the influx of new shooters, without ethics, and a common respect for both the outdoors and the shooting sports.

They ruined it for us all.

These places are all very close to my home. I live close to Lake Pleasant.

Ben Avery is a nice range but its a goat-rope to go there, to busy, to loud etc. its also very close.

Berger Bullets is a sponsor of the new 1000 yard range just west of Ben Avery. It seems to only be open for competitions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E70KxFsJ08E&t=133s

At Phoenix Rod and Gun all but one range is members only and there are no range masters. I just got back from 500 yard shooting - would have gone to the desert but today the winds are howling (blew some seat cushions into the pool) so I thought 500 would be challenging enough. I was the only one there.

But make no mistake, I prefer shooting at my CO place: I leave my shooting mat, LabRadar, spotting scope, etc. there all day and shoot when an interesting wind condition shows up. I can work up loads one at a time since my reloading room door opens to my covered shooting area.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just got back from 500 yard shooting - would have gone to the desert but today the winds are howling

Same here in Yuma.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heading out to Saddleback mountain in a few minutes. Nice day in Phoenix, sunny and mid 60's.

NO WIND... dancing

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3397 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heading out to Saddleback mountain in a few minutes. Nice day in Phoenix, sunny and mid 60's.

NO WIND... dancing

I rarely shoot long range unless the wind is blowing. What is the point? At this point, I only miss due to the wind.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

NO WIND... dancing

I rarely shoot long range unless the wind is blowing. What is the point? At this point, I only miss due to the wind.

1. I'm not as experienced as you
2. I shoot hunting rifles with hunting scopes
3. No turret's, wind dope stuff.
4. I hate doing ANYTHING in the wind.
5. I'm shooting factory ammo
6. I just like to shoot and hear the gong. Can't hear it in the wind.

Formerly "Nganga"

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

One only gains experience by doing so.

I hardly ever click in values but use mil dots etc. for shots under 700 yards most all my hunting rifles have multi-reticles.

The only way to learn to shoot in the wind is by doing so.

Shooting factory ammo only cost more.

Electric hearing protectors help.

Hope you have a good day shooting. If you expand your shooting your skills well improve.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

NO WIND... dancing

I'm hoping this winter to find somewhere I can practice out to 700 for my upcoming Marco Polo hunt. Like you Steve - I shoot hunting rifles with hunting scopes :-)

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott -

When you get your RV to Tucson, let's hook up for a day. These 3 ranges by my house are out to 700. You could be here in less than 2 hours.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Sounds great!

I'll buy dinner :-)

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
use enough gun, has anything changed at the Clark range in the last 6-7 years? my wife and I volunteered there for 5 months back in 2015 and it was managed by a woman that was anti gun, she had put a stop to the long range area and the high power silhouette range and the expansion of the trap range, thanks

Posts: 197 | Location: Stickney,So Dakota | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wind certainly keeps things interesting, but sometimes I like to see how far I can go. Some days it's gratifying to connect at 500 yards with the wind screaming, and other days it's fun to hear the steel ring from more than a mile away on a calm day. There's one valley I sometimes shoot across, and even with a very light breeze the impacts can immediately shift from 6 feet left to 6 feet right with no apparent change. The wind in the middle of the valley must be going like crazy. In this situation I'm not learning anything so I come back to that spot when conditions are better. Some of the most fun I've had while shooting long range was out on the flat with a very strong but steady crosswind. It was amazing to watch the bullets trace way off to the side and come back on target.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve A:

Is this range open when the rest of BLM/NF is closed due to high fire danger?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steve A:

Is this range open when the rest of BLM/NF is closed due to high fire danger?

I ran into a BLM guy out there in the spring. He was doing a downrange vegetation study. And yes, they are closed due to the possibility of a fire. I'm thinking they'll re-open as soon as the monsoon rains dump a couple.

I have not even gone out to check. It's too damn hot to shoot at 118 degree's. Even the mornings are uncomfortable.

Formerly "Nganga"