New
Find
Notify
Tools

scope ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need suggestions for a scope on a 300wsm. I want too be able too have a turret built so i can dial the yardage. any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Posts: 457 | Registered: 12 November 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention this is for a hunting rig.

posted Hide Post
I have an old Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14 I bought from Premier Reticle that gas worked well for me. There is better glass and most all the scope makers have target knobs for their scopes. Really depends on how much you plan to use it versus how much you are willing to spend.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20 offered by Camera Land for $550 in the classifieds. It has target turrets if I remember correctly.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
anyone had a custom turret done? and if so how accurate are they. Looked at swarovski 3x18 can you have a turret built for them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe look at huskemaw. I think gray wolf does custom turrets. I use a vortex pst. I shot theu a chrono and put all info in computer ballistic program. Then print out a chart showing how many clicks to turn for distance and wind. I have a business card size chart attached to scope with small chart out to 550 yds

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brent has a very good suggestion. Someday, you may want to transfer that scope to another rifle, and the custom turrent won't be of much use to you then. I would only add, once you have the settings from the program, go out and test them on the range to fine tune.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny reb:
I need suggestions for a scope on a 300wsm. I want too be able too have a turret built so i can dial the yardage. any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Learn how to use MOA turrets. Yardage marks made for sea level are not going to workout very well at 8,000 elevation.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny reb:

Learn how to use MOA turrets. Yardage marks made for sea level are not going to workout very well at 8,000 elevation.

Actually, if you have a BR2 rangefinder it will tell you the effective distance, then you can dial in for that. But in all fairness, MOA works as well and you don't have to worry about yardage marks. I used to create range cards and tape them to my buttstock but better than a range card is to just make up a your own ballistic turret using some label stock:

http://envoyoutdoors.com/do-it...this-and-save-money/

As for scopes, I love Nightforce. Leupold works, but their turret set screws come loose to often and you don't know where the heck you are. March is the best lightweight LR scope in my opinion.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
How much magnification do you prefer and what objective size?

Two Good ones are the Kahles 624i or the Zeiss FL 4-16x50 and 6-24x56. The Zeiss HT 3-12x56 is a nice scope too if you are happy with the lower magnification range. All have good glass and turrets.

I have heard that the glass in the new Nightforce ATACR scope is an improvement over the NSX but I haven't tried one yet.

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a 2.5-10x32 Nightforce on a custom .270 WSM, and a BR2 rangefinder. It works as AZWriter has described. No problem on Marmots out past 600 yards.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post