Find
Notify
Tools

LR build is coming along!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Sorry for the bad cell phone pics!

I started this build a while back and it has slowly been coming together here is what I have so far.

Stevens 200 CF action
.243 Win Heavy Varmint McGowan 1:7 twist
Stockade tactical bolt handle, recoil lug, and lift kit
SSS Competition trigger
EGW 20 MOA base
Leupold QRW rings
Weaver 3-10X40 Tactical Grand Slam Mil-Dot scope
HS Precision stock and bottom metal with detachable mag

Here is how it was shooting in an un-bedded M12 synthetic stock with 107 Sierra MK's.

There was potential there but I knew I needed a stock upgrade. I was cosidering dropping the money on a McMillan A5 stock and CDI bottom metal but found this HS Precision that was lightly used for far less money. I think my groups will tighten up now, that my barreled action is bedded to this stock. I know that a lot of people don't bed the HS stock but I feel better with all my stocks bedded. I've got those heavy DTAC's and Berger's on order and thinking of trying some Matrix bullets as well. Hoping to start ringing some steel well beyond 600 yards soon as I can find some time off from my new job to spend time loading and shooting.

Posts: 2242 | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had father's day off, spent it at the bench.

L-R Berger 105, A-Max 105, and Match King 107

Can't wait to get to the range now!

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Looks good
Now let us know how it shoots all dressed up in the new bedding.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well it was nice enough this morning to shoot a few groups out of the new rifle. Really wish I had a portable bench, shooting prone off of bipods isn't my favorite way to test for accuracy. However I did get to shoot a few rounds before it got too hot so it was a good day.

My main goal was to find a load that would shoot around 2900 fps in my rifle with the 105-107 grain bullets. RL 22 so far has exceeded that goal by a lot. All cases are Winchester, Primers are CCI 200, and all 2.710" COAL.

I shot two groups with the 105 A-Max one was pretty good the other not so much. The second group confirmed my fears that I would be showing pressure signs but it sure was fast! Primers were slightly cratered and the headstamps were getting a little shiny.

Group 1, RL 22 44.4 grains
HI 3177 fps
LO 3123 fps
AVG 3147 fps
ES 54.30
SD 21.26

Group 2, RL 22 44.7 grains
HI 3269 fps
LO 3211 fps
AVG 3235 fps
ES 58.12
SD 22.69

Next I tried Sierra 107 grain Match Kings.

Group 1, H1000 45.4 grains
HI 2906 fps
LO 2870 fps
AVG 2888 fps
ES 35.84
SD 13.19

I think this one would have grouped really well but as you can see the nut behind the trigger didn't get the job done.

Group 2, H1000 45.7 grains
HI 2904 fps
LO 2864 fps
AVG 2880 fps
ES 40.56
SD 15.00

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went on a spending spree since I couldn't reload this month due to my Army commitment to the Reserves.

Can't wait to try the 115's in my rifle, and right now over at SPS they have the 107 Nosler CC bullets cheap so I picked up 500 of them. I doubt I try them if I can get the 115's to shoot.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I got a couple hundred 100 grn Sierra GK's I'll bring you in October if you want them

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I got a couple hundred 100 grn Sierra GK's I'll bring you in October if you want them

Only if you bring that rifle we talked about to shoot them in. Wink

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Chad I wish I could but I had an unexpected expense

boat motor blew up....

Gotta fish!!!! So I sold the 243 just the other day

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post