THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    What got you started in the long-range game?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What got you started in the long-range game?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
moved to AZ Big Grin
nmhunter

Posts: 34 | Location: Goodyear AZ | Registered: 25 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started into long range from across the course highpower. I first tried service rifle (M1A) and was a little disappointed in the results at first but stuck with it. I progressed to a bolt rifle and got better. Now I have several match rifles, 2 Palma rifles and 1 unlimited 7 RSAUM, and that's about all the match shooting I do (I did partner with Doug Armstrong to win the CMP Eastern Games Vintage Sniper Rifle match last month using Mausers). But anyway I was part of the US Veterans team to Canada in 2007 and have been very involved in that ever since. Sadly, not much time for hunting anymore.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 827 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
p/dogs got me into LR shooting....

There is always a 'patch of dogs' out farther

than the patch you are shootin'...

Then always a patch past that....... Cool

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got my start with the Marines 1960 after I got out 1965 I just expanded. My first custom was a 7mag in the late 60's and I picked places to hunt/varmits that let me get those long shots.

After we moved to Co in the 70's just expanded shooting PD out east and I picked places around what we call Middle Park for my elk/deer hunting. I'd moved on from 7mmm by mid 80's I was shooting my first 30-338mag 26" long barrel.

Last year I hunted elk/deer with my 3rd 30-338mag with 26" long barrel and my back ups was a 27" long barrel 284 with 160gr AB @ 3048fps.

I'm almost 70 now still love a LR hunting or varmit rilfe. I wish I had the time for one of the 338 Edge/Laupa be fun

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Reverend Recoil
posted Hide Post
I shoot my AR15 service rifle out to 600yd in high power rifle competition. I also compete with the F-class folks. I shoot the same way with a shooting coat and leather sling. It is fun to beat some of those fellows that shoot with scopes and bipods. By the way, 600yd is only mid range. Long range is 800, 900, and 1000yd.

DR #2276, P-100 2021

Posts: 100 | Registered: 04 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't shoot long range. However, it is a real treat to read all of your posts.
Thanks for posting.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't shoot long range, yet. But I will somday.

You will join the darkside soon. Big Grin

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AS,

Actually I've been thinking about it. However, it will take a good deal of effort. That is the biggest hindrance right now, time and commitment. I'm a member of a private range, but 300 yds. is max. To shoot longer range I' will have to find another place to shoot. That can be done though.
I've a 6.5 x 284, 7STW, 300 win mag 300 WSM, a 338 RUM Sendero and a 338-378KT,so having something that will reach out and touch is not the problem. I was thinking about setting up the 7 stw with some 168 gr. Berger VLD's that I have, and maybe the 338-378KT with some 225 gr accubonds. I know there are bullet with higher Bc's, but I'm mainly interested in killing, not punching paper. Have to decide on whether to use a mil-dot reticule or dialing-for-porkers. I might even sell a couple rifles and buy one of Darrell Holland's ART scopes. Those Schmidt & Benders make one drool.

My lease is 300 miles from my house so it is not practical to run up there all that often.
The rancher has been clearing juniper so there are a couple places where I could probably set up to 1,000 yds.
There are also two tripods/stands where I could sit on top of one of the hills there and get a 550 and 700 yd. shot. I've been thinking about setting up spin cast feeders at two locations. Might be fun to try to whack pigs. Probably wouldn't shoot deer from that distance. Too much of a chance to wound. Whatever I do, I'll be sure to get in some bench time before I try to draw blood. Anyway, I'm recovering from double Inguinal hernia surgery so it will be couple months at least before I'm at it again in earnest. If I do decide to take the plunge, I'll post. Till then I'll continue to read, learn and enjoy.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I fart a lot and the wind swirls where I hunt. What can I say?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What got you started in the long-range game?

quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
I fart a lot and the wind swirls where I hunt. What can I say?

rotflmo animal

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Shooting prairie dogs really got me interested. I was a pretty good shot at reasonable long ranges.

Then those darn things barked at me from further away. Can't let them get away with that.

That lead to a shooting school or two, new long range equipment, rifles, optics and the works.

Now those sinister little gophers had better beware to much further ranges than I was getting them before....

All the training and range time also helped when i had no cover left and one of the few pronghorn we had a chance at was still 487 yards out. One shot and he was in the bag, off the 2nd wire & post of a 3 wire fence in the wind. That was fun and MUCH better than going home without an animal in the bag.

The long range shooting game is very addicting and fun.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Growing up on the prairies; I'd worked my way up 500 or thereabouts for deer and yotes. But the question was about longrange?

I was hunting with a buddy in his area. He threw an extra guncase into my truck, and at lunchtime we "accidently" ended up overlooking a valley with a few rocks sticking out of the snow here and there. He pulled out the extra case, pulled out a .338 Edge and started poppig a couple rocks at 827 and 928 yards. Inevitably I had to try too, and was playing bang-whack with 6 minutes of wind cranked in.

It went downhill from there; I started building rifles with long pipes and Mark 4s before ending up with a Shawn Carlock Canyon rifle in .338 Edge, bought property to build a 1/2 mile shooting range and somewhere along the way started showing up at the odd F-class match. Now a 1 1/2 mile range started to make some strange sort of sense.

It was the most expensive lunch-break of my life.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 128 | Registered: 17 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post