Notify
Tools

C'Mon Guys!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
So, rc, where do you shoot? Private land? Public land? How do you know that no one else is out there, especially with ricochets?
Peter.

I belong to 2 gun clubs here. One that is 20 minutes from my house is right by the airport. We have quite a few ranges there. Pistol and 3-gun pits/berms, 100 and 200 yard ranges with covered cement benches, a small shotgun area that is getting better now Wink, and the silhoette range that has covered benches as well and steel hangers at 200, 300, 400, 500 meters and steel IPSC plates at 650, 700, 760 yards. To the side of the silhoette range is a 600 yard F-Class range with pits. Everyone can shoot there anytime. We hold monthly Precision matches there that are a kick!

The other gun club is about an hour from my house even though it is 42 miles. You kind of have to wind through town and such to get out there. It's a great club with plenty of 100 yard shooting postions, 200 and 300 yard ranges with benches. We also have a 1000 yard range with pits and about 20 shooting postions. Lots of pistol berms and pistol silhoette berms. The Sporting Clays facility is the best in the state with 2 full walk through 12 station courses on a key card system, Skeet field/Trap field overlay, 5-Stand.

I also shoot at the Sporting Rifle Match in Raton at the NRA Whittington Center. The ranges that Whittington has are phenomenal as you probably know. On practice/set-up day Saturday, we are able to shoot out to 1700 yards at the end of the day.

Obviously these are organized ranges so no one is downrange.

On the other hand on public land the same can be done if you have your own steel. Just like a lot of people around the country do (I'm guessing cuz they do here) folks go out on BLM land, find a bank to shoot into for sight-in or practice. We just do it with big banks; mountains as berms Big Grin

quote:
I spent half my life driving through Logan and I dont know where that ranch is. I Can see that finding a range that goes past 200 is a problem, just have some patience with us lucky ones that grew up with distance.

Here's some great pictures of Blue Steel Ranch SE of Logan. They were taken by the match director Zak Smith. The Steel Safari is a once-a-year match kinda like the Sporting Rifle Match, except much tougher. You shoot by yourself. You hike through the 2 60 target courses with just the gear you can carry, food, water. When you come to a shoot position, there will be a shooter and an RO. Your RO is the guy that is in front of you on the hike. You are required to stay back at a staging area while the shooter in front of you shoots his stage and is being RO'd. The reason being that part of the game is finding, ranging, then shooting the targets in 5 minutes. Sometimes guys can't even find all of them before time's up!

After the shooter in front of you is done, he becomes your RO and calls you up to the station. He stands in front of you and tells you to make your rifle ready. He then tells you that the targets can be found from a spread of "that tree on the left to that tree on the right", says "Go!" and starts spotting for you.

I've not shot the match, but have shot the course for fun. It's incredible! Click around on all of the pictures at the top where it says "pages 1-60, 61-120 and so on. There's a ton of them!

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far all I have done is look at the posts.
I have shot some coyotes at what I believe are loong range,wasn't doing it to impress anyone just shooting them coyotes that thought they were safe.
Where I live I have 3 sections of land that I can shoot as far as you want just outside my door.
Those shots were at varmints not game animals so I wasn't worried about wounding them.
I hope this does not turn into a mine's better than yours type of forum.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
I drive 75 miles just to shoot, luckily as of last year the club has a 600 yard range. So this summer I plan on giving it a go. Will post more when I see how I do at 600.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, out here away from the cities there are more cows then people, and cows are pretty easy to spot. The land is big and open, so people don't walk very far, and vehicles are even easier to spot.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Those shots were at varmints not game animals so I wasn't worried about wounding them.
I hope this does not turn into a mine's better than yours type of forum.

Me too. I want to learn as much about this as possible and share as much of what I know with others, just like on any other part of these pages.

Keep shooting coyotes Big Grin

If I could shoot a ton a day I would quit working to do so! Big Grin

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike70560,
Have shot with Mitch at both Perry and Oak Ridge and he is one of the best out there. Last I heard he had moved to New Zealand. He did a few years ago show up at Perry and at Oak Ridge, but have not been that active for past few years. Mitchell Maxberry rifles were well known as a quality build and he had/has an uncanny ability to read the wind. The matches I shot with him he was using 700Rem. action in 7 Rem. Mag. but you never knew what he would show up with since he bult his own. Back in the day he was on the level of David Tubbs and that is a very high level.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Martin,

I bought the 30-338 from a guy from Tennessee at Camp Perry around 1996. I lost round count a long time ago but it still shoots fine. It is a Rem Long action in a aluminum sleeve. Kreiger barrel, Jewel trigger, left hand. Very state of the art for the mid 90s. 200 Grain SMK at 3000 FPS. One year at Perry I shot 11 X's in the Wimbledon with a brain fart 6. Tubbs and I had the same score but I out-Xd him. That is my closest "claim to fame" moment.

If I remember correctly Maxberry shot with an old web sling, about the only match rifle shooter to do so. I was also looking at some older Perry scores, Mitchell shot a 449 in the Palma. Not bad, Mid Tompkins shot a 450 in the same match. I had some good times there.

Posts: 2950 | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I lived most of my life back east in New York, was blessed with a few places to shoot to as far as 200 yards. Moved out to the desert and now there is virtually no limit to the distance i can shoot at. At first 300 yards was a challenge, but soon that was passed and 600 yards was mastered and then 1,ooo... Now hitting a man sized steel at a mile is a chore, but good days have been close to 50 %.

Yes, as stated above, "if I can do it, so can you."

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
I'm having a tough time believing that this amount of interest (Minimal) is all that there is for this Forum, Game, Sport!!!

All the FuddyDuddys need to suspend their preconcieved notions of the effective range of their FireStick and Get With This Program!!!

How can anyone shooting a rifle be content shooting at 100 to 200 yards (I've seen posts from guys thinking 300 yards is beyond belief!)?????

I guess my steel plate hit at 1700 yards is Fantasy stuff for all of you

If I can do it, anyone can!

It's like owning a Corvette Stingray and only driving it in School Zones!!!

600 yards open sights once a month. June is my first 1000. Shooting Service Rifle for 12 years.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only get to shoot really long twice a year on a trip to far west Texas.

But we are close to finishing the 400 and 600 yard ranges at our GunClub in Crosby.

This will make it a good bit better to test rifles and loads.

It's kinda tough to "Go Long" here in S.E. Texas....................

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
about time a long range forum was started here. I have been a LR fanatic for several years, first with the Weatherby "big dogs" and then for the last 12 years using LRP's ( long range pistols) My long range weapons are in the SAUM calibers and the WSM calibers. posted some pictures on the post your LR's in this forum.
nmhunter

Posts: 34 | Location: Goodyear AZ | Registered: 25 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
I usually shoot at 300 yds unless there's a swamp down there, water table is a bit high way down yonder,lol

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Farrier Matt:
Same here. The long range stuff sounds like a lot of fun, but I am not aware of any ranges near me longer than 200 yards, and most are 100 yards. Gotta have the "long" part of the long range to be able to shoot it.

Being intrigued with long range shooting, hunting or paper for some time but being unable to travel the distances required (still gotta work ya know) kinda put this on the back burner. Got hired at the new Cabela's along with a young man who has been competing for about ten years. He gave me the idea of looking in the forest areas for places to shoot. He has a place close to where he lives (Lebanon) where he can shoot out to 800 yards on a regular basis.

Coincidentally I had a customer come in last week and he was looking for some Berger bullets in a grain weight I was unfamiliar with for his 7mm Remington Mag. We started talking and he told me he had been shooting 600 and 1000 yard matches for about six years and gave me the location of a place about 30 mins from my house where several guys go to shoot up to 1000 yards. I will be checking it out next week on my days off. I used Google Earth to find it and scout out a couple more areas that might have potential out to about 700-800 yards. Never thought of using google Earth before to look for long range areas. Just an idea...

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
I have zero interest in seeing other peoples "rigs" or in establishing that my tactical rifle is better than yours ...

If you don't have the opportunity to go out and shoot with people at long range, then talking with them on a forum and seeing pictures is the next best thing. I really don't think this forum or pictures of guns and places to shoot is some kind of competition. I, for one, like to see what other people have built to get ideas and see what options are around. Before last year every one of my rifles was a single shot, but I watched a precision tactical match and decided to build a repeater with a detachable magazine to try something new. The internet forums were a great help in figuring out what was available and what worked well. I've seen pictures of a lot of different guns that I'd never seen in person or even heard of. That's how I learned that there are detachable magazines made for the WSM rounds, when everyone I talked to locally told me they don't exist.

So basically I'm hoping people will enjoy reading the forum and contributing to another aspect of this hobby.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post