New
Find
Notify
Tools

C'Mon Guys!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm having a tough time believing that this amount of interest (Minimal) is all that there is for this Forum, Game, Sport!!!

All the FuddyDuddys need to suspend their preconcieved notions of the effective range of their FireStick and Get With This Program!!!

How can anyone shooting a rifle be content shooting at 100 to 200 yards (I've seen posts from guys thinking 300 yards is beyond belief!)?????

I guess my steel plate hit at 1700 yards is Fantasy stuff for all of you

If I can do it, anyone can!

It's like owning a Corvette Stingray and only driving it in School Zones!!!

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am still in the build process on mine and will be asking numerous questions as time goes on.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not an indictment of those who've posted.

I thought there would be more participation in the new forum.

I just can't believe with all of the knowledgeable folks here in handloading and the other technical aspects, that so few shoot at ranges past 300 yards.

A new World awaits.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RC,

As I intimated before, I'm a short range meat hunter. I own at least 5 rifles, that in their current iteration could clang a gong or take game at 1,000 yds. However, neither they, nor I have done it. Consequently in my mind, they ain't long range rigs snd until they do, won't be featured here. I could blow smoke, and bullshit about my prowess, and maybe you wouldn't know, but I would. So, hopefully some others will chime in to keep this forum going. Just like huntin', gotta have patience. Sumpin' will evidence itself.
Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I probably came on too strong in my disappointment and meant no disrespect to any member.

Since this is my new "thing" and I'm hot to trot on it, live and breathe it, I was thinking when the new forum was created it would have unbelieveable traffic.

I'll just have to get everyone as fired-up about it as I am!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RC,

Ever seen the Movie, Colors with Robert Duval and Sean Penn. Robert Duval is an old cop with lots of years and experience under his belt. Sean Penn is a rookie. Duval tells the story about two bulls. The two bulls are on top of the hill looking down on a heard of cows. The young bull is dancin' around sayin' come on gramps' lets run down there and f%ck one of those cows. The old bull says, slow down, lets mosey down there and f%ck them all. Be patient, it will happen. In the meantime, you might log on to longrangehunting.com.
Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think part of the reason for many not becoming interested in long range shooting is not that they would not like to do it, but access to such a range/property is not that common or at least here in the Eastern U.S.
Some are under the misconception that one has to have an ultra velocity magnum caliber to shoot beyond 600yds,official start of Long Range NRA classification, and the 308 or '06 does very well at those ranges. The humble 6.5x55 Swd set many a 1000yd record many years ago. As for magnum rounds, the 300WinMag is pretty much the gold standard these days and the latest darling is the 6.5x284, but you don't have to have those to compete/shoot in long range be it target or steel.

Nearest 1000yd range for me is some 150 miles away and have open use of it and the other similar ranges are 350 miles away so it is a time and expense challenge to some. One of the best changes in regulations to take place is the development of the F class(Supported Fire) which opened up the field for those not desiring to go the prone/sling/micrometer sights route. Your basic Rem. 700 Varminter in 308 or other calibers with a non expensive scope will give the user a lot of good experience at long range and the cost is not prohibitive. Again, the F class has brought in a lot of older shooters for the sling/prone method is not an easy one and equipment requirements are more stringent.
If there was some way we could bring back the old "postal matches" where one actually mailed in their scores to a third party for record keeping and reporting of results with a moderate prize involved, you might get some more activity??

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
MFD,

My sentiments exactly, I drive 92 miles just to shoot a 600 yard prone match. That is .223 distance.

The closest 1000 yard range is over 250 miles.

My long range rifle is a Mitchel Maxberry built 30-338 Win that I have shot for years.

Posts: 2950 | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same here. The long range stuff sounds like a lot of fun, but I am not aware of any ranges near me longer than 200 yards, and most are 100 yards. Gotta have the "long" part of the long range to be able to shoot it.

Posts: 141 | Location: FL to WV | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Matt
I'm in the same position my range only has 500 yards, with the berm at 600.
I shoot 2.5 inch lids at 500 and consider it a job well done.
I would like to shoot at 1,000 yards, but I'm not willing to drive to Quantico.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with some of the above posts. I am interested in what I can shoot easily and that so far is 300 yards. However I have 6 rifles that I want to shoot at that distance, and I want to shoot for groups so that I have a realistic perception of those rifles abilities. I have zero interest in seeing other peoples "rigs" or in establishing that my tactical rifle is better than yours (I don't have a tactical rifle)!
Now if someone wants to post evaluations of different ballistic programs, that I would be interested in.
Edited post: Well actually I DO have a tactical rifle! My Savage 110FP says "Tactical" on the bolt!
I will take a look periodically though.
Good luck, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After I posted this in haste last night I came to my senses, regrouped, and actually began to use my head for something other than a hat rack.

I thought of the very issue y'all have been pointing out; having access to a place to do this.

I've lived in NM all of my life and take it for granted!

Sorry
homer

one of us
posted Hide Post
So, rc, where do you shoot? Private land? Public land? How do you know that no one else is out there, especially with ricochets?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grins

I spent half my life driving through Logan and I dont know where that ranch is. I Can see that finding a range that goes past 200 is a problem, just have some patience with us lucky ones that grew up with distance.

wave

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post