THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    What brand of cases for a 7mmRM?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What brand of cases for a 7mmRM?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys

I'm currently having a long range capable hunting rifle made up for me by Chad from Longrifles inc in Sth Dakota.

Just starting to get all the goodies together in anticipation and was wondering what make of brass you guys would recommend? I won't be going overboard with my reloading but do want to start with good brass which I will prep properly.

I intend to use Berger 180 gn VLD's and hope to be able to get away with just cleaning up the primer pockets and flash holes, minimal resizing, and regular trimming.

Cheers.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Oh and start with Retumbo for a powder. Wink

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jay

Thanks for reply but my rfle will be chambered in 7mm Rem Mag - not Ultra Mag. Any thoughts?

Cheers.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GG375:
Hi Jay

Thanks for reply but my rfle will be chambered in 7mm Rem Mag - not Ultra Mag. Any thoughts?

Cheers.

GG

Yea, pick another cartridge. I used to love the 7mm RM; shot a ton of critters with it, everything from Dall sheep and caribou to antelope and zebra. But there are better cartridges out there.

Why this one?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I had some Norma brass long ago, and it was good stuff. Maybe you can find some European brass even if it isn't manufactured presently.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
OK, try this link.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewP...uctNumber=1601116115

What twist would you be using in this rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GG375:
...was wondering what make of brass you guys would recommend? I won't be going overboard with my reloading but do want to start with good brass which I will prep properly. ...
I believe I've always used "R-P" Cases in my 7mmRemMags. Lots of good Cases are available today though. And I always do a Full Case Prep and Weight Sort on Bottle Neck Rifle Cartridges.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys

Thanks for all your input. I've had pretty good luck with R-P brass in other cals so I'll probably go with them and do as you suggest Hot Core (weight sort and full case prep).

Cheers.

GG

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a box of the Nosler brass for my .270. Great stuff, it appears. It comes sorted for weight and the flash holes are de-burred. I measured 10 of the box of fifty for length and all were within a few thousandths and at a proper trim length. The best part was, out of those fifty, 44 of them had neck thickness concentricity within .001. This is better than the several hundred Norma cases I have in three different calibers.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post