THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    My recent LR hunting/light tactical rifle

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My recent LR hunting/light tactical rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
I shoot 1-2x monthly in sniper shoots from 25 to 1000 yds. My BIG rifle weights a skootch under 18 lbs. A bit much for the 11,000'+ mountain I like to chase elk on. It's chambered in 6.5x47 Lapua.

I love the caliber but not the weight. I decided to build something lighter. I started with Chris Matthews of Longshot rifles in Urich, MO. Chris is a well known rifle builder experienced with BR, LR BR, sniper and LR hunting and the building of rifles for each discipline. Chris built my BIG rifle and now he's built my LITTLE Pierce.

I say LITTLE Pierce as it's built on a Pierce short action. I've known of the Pierce action for a number of years now via

http://www.accurateshooter.com...stom-actions/#Pierce

http://www.pierceengineeringltd.com/

and also, when ordering my 26" #3, 5C Broughton barrel for this rifle, in talking with Tim North, Pres of Broughton, he asked what action was I going to use. When I mentioned the Pierce he gave a VERY hearty thumbs up. He really praised the faster lock time and lighter firing pin hit for less disruption when it all goes bang. The Pierce has a Rem 700 footprint thus was an easy drop in to the McMillan Remington Sporter stock I ordered in Edge fill. Buyer beware, the action does not have the standard Rem 700 distance between threaded base screw holes.

I went with a Rifle Basix trigger @ 2 lbs. Pierce proprietary 1-pc aluminum picatinny base and Farrell 30mm tactical rings holding a Nightforce 2.5-10x32mm with the NP-R2 reticle.

Overall weight is 8 lb 10 oz.

All the metal is finished in matte black Cerakote. The bolt fit is pretty snug. Time will tell if it's too snug.

PTG BDL bottom metal, Rem box, follower and follower spring.

Using long range Audette Ladder testing I settled on the 140 Partiton (was able to pick up 500 seconds nicely priced) running 2865 fps, 7 SD (measured via my Oehler 35P) using 41.8 gr of Rel 17 and Fed 205M primer. I used Redding Type S bushing die, sizing the neck only .001" and their BR seater die setting the bullet about .010" off the lands; as this is a hunting rifle first, no sticking the bullets into the lands.

402 yd head shots using 4 MOA hold over with the 2 MOA hash marks with the NF scope are very easy.

This is what I saw when I was verifying my choice of 41.6 gr of Rel 17.

Hope to pop both a spike and cow elk this fall.

Enjoy!

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2tu2

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alan,

your target at 371 yards, what power did you have the Nightforce set on?

My long range rig for that type of service is on Model 70 action, free floated 28 inch barrel, heavy magnum contour, Factory wood stock, bedded.. Pac Nor Barrel..I am using a 5 x 15 Bushnell Elite 3200 on mine..

It is on a long action, chambered in the old and uncommon 6.5 x 57.. 40 grains of 4064 or RL 15 give an MV of 2800 fps.. can push it more, but as Sierra TEch guys said, 2800 to 2900 fps seems to be the most accurate MVs for a lot of 120 to 144 grain 6.5 bullets...

To 800 yds, it was flatter shooting than some professional SWAT guys shooting 300 Win Mags with 180 ballistic tips and 7 Remington Mags running 150 grain Ballistic Tips..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

I usually try to keep it on 10x though just before I started my shooting this past Saturday I turned it down to 2.5 as a jackrabbit popped out of the sagebrush about 50 yds distance. The 100 gr Partition did some interesting work on him dancing

Of all the people on all the different forums I visit, you're the one guy who has perked my interest in the 6.5x57. I have a 30 yr old Rem 700 that has been heavily customized and is now in 30-06 AI. Several times I've almost had it rebarreled in the x57 but talk myself out of it as then I wouldn't have a 30 cal "anything" and it's an honest 1/2 MOA shooter yet weighs only 7-1/2 lbs with a MK 4 4.5-14 scope on board.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surprisingly over the years, I have sent more than a couple folks a once fired 6.5 x 57 case to give to their gunsmiths, for a build..

it is basically an Americanized or Standardized 6.5 x 55...besides it being rare and old being a motivation for loving the cartridge...

as long as they make 6mm Rem, 257 Roberts and 7mm Mauser brass, I have an easy source for plentiful brass, with a standard .473 bolt face..

it gives up nothing to the 6.5 x 284s that I have tested along side of it, except accomplishing the same thing, with a little less powder..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
My best friend convinced me to pursue the Berger 140 VLD Hunting bullet with Rel 17.

Oh yeah!! dancing

This was shot at 414 yds with a slight 1.5-3 mph wind that would go from my 12 to my 3 and back. I jotted down the wrong velocity on the target. It's actually 2963 fps with an 8 SD.

And I just dropped a cow elk permit application into the mail yesterday for January if we're drawn. The biologist says by January the cows are getting spooky on this hunt as they've been pushed since Nov by other cow elk hunters and this bullet/speed combo should be just the ticket to reach out if needed. jumping

Alan