Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll add:
87.3% is the platform (gun and scope)
22.7% the cartridge, load and accuracy
and....
100% the shooter!!!!!

You cannot BUY accuracy. It has to be earned!

Buy, range, dial and shoot is a myth when it comes to long range shooting!

Zeke

Posts: 2270 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just answering your question I would recommend something in the 180-200 grain range with a G1 bc of .575 or better OR a G7 near .300. For the ranges indicated, you want to strongly consider a 2 component max bullet. Every component adds a +/- variant and they add up creating inconsistent bullets that will create issues at those ranges. An example is Berger bullets. Lead plus a jacket designed for what you are doing. 2 components. There are others.

Beyond your question: the musical instrument does not make the musician. You have to study the science, you have to dry fire extensively. You have to learn to shoot in field conditions. You need to understand all the variables that effect bullet flight from a scientific point. Then you need to learn the “art” part of shooting, and that is WIND or more likely, WINDS and their effect near, midrange and far. The only way I learned winds was by doing it after taking several mountain shooting classes. I learn more about winds every year.

Brian Litz is as good a place to start the journey as anywhere else.

My personal rule is that I never shoot at live game beyond 500. I do 90+% of my live fire target shooting beyond that out to the transonic range for my loads.

Posts: 1946 | Registered: 16 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post