New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optimum barrel length?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've built several 300 RUM's for myself and others for long-range rigs. So far I've stayed between 27-30". My brother-in-law's 300 RUM on a Mato action is 27", my RUM is 30". With the same load (94gr Retumbo) and a 200gr Nosler accubond I get right at 3250fps, the 27" barreled rifle delivers something around 3145 if I remember correctly. It does a good job and has killed a few elk at 850 and one mule deer at 1180. The Nolser AB has performed very well at those distances for penetration and expansion.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
Now that I have decided to stay with 300Rum, what is in your experience the optimum barrel length( 28, 30, 32)to make use of the powder capacity of the RUM case?

I plan on shooting 200-240gr bullets or at least bullets that length. Cutting edge makes pure copper match bullets that I find appealing.

I am assuming 1-10. Preferences on makers? Does cut rifling really hold any accuracy potential over button? So far I have considered Hart, Lilja, and Broughton. Am willing to consider Krieger and Pac-Nor.

How many groves? 3, 6, 8?

Thanks.

Andy

I have 300 Rum with Barrels from 26" to 30". I like 30 on a dedicated long range rifle, but 26" will produce good velocity

I like Krieger and Rock Creek barrels and that is what I use

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fot a strictly/mostly range rifle I would go with a 32". That would allow you to set the barrel back a few times after the throat gets burned out.

For a strictly hunting rifle I would go with a 28". That would allow you to set it back once or maybe twice.

After all how many rounds do you think you will get out of a barrel, before it needs to either be set back or replaced with a 3oo RUM???

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post