The Accurate Reloading Forums
Optimum barrel length?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8991022351/m/6491063571

26 May 2012, 08:44
matt salm
Optimum barrel length?
I've built several 300 RUM's for myself and others for long-range rigs. So far I've stayed between 27-30". My brother-in-law's 300 RUM on a Mato action is 27", my RUM is 30". With the same load (94gr Retumbo) and a 200gr Nosler accubond I get right at 3250fps, the 27" barreled rifle delivers something around 3145 if I remember correctly. It does a good job and has killed a few elk at 850 and one mule deer at 1180. The Nolser AB has performed very well at those distances for penetration and expansion.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt
17 June 2012, 06:55
jwp475
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
Now that I have decided to stay with 300Rum, what is in your experience the optimum barrel length( 28, 30, 32)to make use of the powder capacity of the RUM case?

I plan on shooting 200-240gr bullets or at least bullets that length. Cutting edge makes pure copper match bullets that I find appealing.

I am assuming 1-10. Preferences on makers? Does cut rifling really hold any accuracy potential over button? So far I have considered Hart, Lilja, and Broughton. Am willing to consider Krieger and Pac-Nor.

How many groves? 3, 6, 8?

Thanks.

Andy

I have 300 Rum with Barrels from 26" to 30". I like 30 on a dedicated long range rifle, but 26" will produce good velocity

I like Krieger and Rock Creek barrels and that is what I use

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill
17 June 2012, 12:41
N E 450 No2
Fot a strictly/mostly range rifle I would go with a 32". That would allow you to set the barrel back a few times after the throat gets burned out.

For a strictly hunting rifle I would go with a 28". That would allow you to set it back once or maybe twice.

After all how many rounds do you think you will get out of a barrel, before it needs to either be set back or replaced with a 3oo RUM???

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY