New
Find
Notify
Tools

which cartridge
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 25/06 ruger #1. I would like to get started in long range shooting and need info as to which chambering to start with. I want to keep the ruger if I can.

Thanks

Posts: 121 | Location: here and there | Registered: 18 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are you shooting it at? A .25-06 shoots plenty flat enough for long range shooting, but I wouldn't want to use one on anything much bigger than a mule deer.

The main thing you need to do is practice. Then practice some more. My suggestion is rather than buying a new rifle, invest in handloading equipment if you don't already have it, and if you do, buy components and start working up a load that is very accurate in your rifle.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a very accurate No.1 in .204, but I wouldn't pick that rifle as a long range "go to" gun.

Gear wise, the question is easily answered. You need to shoot bullets with a very high BC as fast as you can as accurately as you can.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
barb,
Help us by defining for us what you're thinking "long range shooting" is as it appies to you. 400? 800? 1500? gongs? paper? game?

In my mind, a high BC bullet in a two-bit bore is a good long range shooter. AnotherAZW pretty well summed it up. (accurate, fast, high BC) what you do from there will depend on YOUR application.

Zeke

Posts: 2270 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barb:
I have a 25/06 ruger #1. I would like to get started in long range shooting and need info as to which chambering to start with. I want to keep the ruger if I can.

Thanks

Back in the 80's I wanted little more rifle than my Ruger #1 7mag offered so I had it rebarrel to a 30-338mag little better bullet selection at the time.

Ideally a bolt action is preferred but I used what I had and I never regretted doing it. I was hunting some fairly open country here in Co on a combination deer/elk tag 500yd plus shots possible.

Gunsmith redid forend etc back in them days never had the VLD type bullets. I had a 1/12 twist barrel put on that rifle so I guess I could try some of Berger 185gr VLD hunting bullets in that rifle.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
barb, all excellent comments above. Let me add:
How accurate is your Ruger #1 at say 100 and 200 yards? Ruger's seem to be so-so accuracy wise, so, unless it is accurate, you may just be frustrated. Once you answer the range questions then you can decide on whether or not the Ruger you have, in the caliber you have will do it. You might check whether Berger makes some of his VLD's in 25 caliber. These are high BC and seem to be the cat's meow (in some cases) for long range work.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post