Find
Notify
Tools

Reading The Wind
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Before I give any indepth replies, I need to digest all this stuff. I will say that when I shoot in a zero wind, input zero wind in to my Droid Shooter program, I get "0" wind adjustment at 1000 yds. As soon as I enable the Spin Drift function, I get an automatic 5.9" wind drift and I've proven it to myself at 1000 yds. I don't use Spin Drift.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Same here, GSSP

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:

Good post.

I'd rather have an old boy who's been shooting since the Burmese campaign wind coaching me than the latest PDA in those circumstances.

I can see however that in unknown topography, it would be nice to have a starting point provided by a ballistics program. To object to one under those circumstance these days would be akin to having objected to the use of paper ballistic charts before the modern PDAs were invented.

My point is that neither paper charts nor PDAs are of as much use as disciplined, methodical, concentrated experience when it comes to reading and allowing for the wind.

The wind and barometric pressure right where you are isn't a great deal of help in my experience. You are not shooting at yourself, but away from yourself. It is the conditions down-range you need to observe and allow for.

While the condition where you are is the single most important one IF you have to consider only ONE, you don't want to do that. If there are three or four or more changes in the wind downrange, then the wind where you are firing from is vastly overweighed by all those other changes, which may reult in your having to put on a lot more wind than the condition where you are would indicate, OR A LOT LESS. Skilled observation and experience will tell you which is most likely needed.

If you do enough "for the record" shooting, you learn what your rifle does in different conditions. And you don't spend your time calculating out atmospheric pressures, etc. Experience tells you how it will work when its raining (usually a low barometer reading) and so on.

I'd rather have a Life Master in hi-power coaching me over any unknown range than a computer. Computers DON'T THINK. And to the extent they cannot consider all the things a human can see and allow for in the blink of an eye, it's simply GIGO (garbage in, garbage out).

But then, every one does it his own way.

Having had the good fortune to have been a Life Master for 30 years now, and having been a Palma Team member, I'm gonna stick with my way for my shooting.

Pretty tough to use the PDA on the line or in the field for the most part at least for me. When you shoot enough judging condition becomes a easier. The difference between the average and a great shooter no matter who builds your rifles are the ones who can judge condition period end of story. Have seen it too many times to count.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
+1, BOSS

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
QUOTE:

What are the consequences?
So those are the facts.  But what does all this mean, practically, to long range target shooters?   The answer lies in understanding the following:  The effects of gyroscopic drift and Coriolis drift are independent, and cumulative. In other words, they add, and you can make them add up in more or less favorable ways.
For example (typical 1000 yard small arms trajectory), if you always shoot in the northern hemisphere where the horizontal drift is always to the right, and you have a right twist barrel as most of us do, then your bullet will drift to the right approximately 9" due to gyroscopic drift, and an additional 2.5" due to Coriolis, resulting in 11.5" right drift, even in zero crosswind.  However, if you had a left twist barrel in the northern hemisphere, gyro drift and Coriolis drift would partially offset each other, resulting in only 6.5" drift to the right.  What's that mean practically, to competitive target shooters? I can think of only one answer:
Long range prone shooters (perhaps some BR shooters as well) like to set a "zero wind" value on their sights as a reference point. If this zero wind setting is determined for a 100 yard zero, then it will be wrong for longer ranges. The difference between the left and right twist barrel means that the long range, no wind zero will be off by either 1/2 or 1 MOA due to the combined effects of gyroscopic and Coriolis drift. Considering this, it would be more beneficial to have a left twist barrel. Having said that, I wouldn't order a special made barrel for that reason. It might cost more, and I'm more comfortable letting the barrel makers do what they're more comfortable with. I'd do the math and adjust my long range zero wind setting before I'd special order a left twist barrel.
Furthermore...
As the most precise shooters on the planet, BR shooters are allowed sighters, before they begin their record shots. Allowing sighters gives BR shooters the luxury of 'dialing out' all these small components of deflection that are different on different ranges, etc. So BR shooters don’t really have to understand, or care about the effects.. However, long range hunters and snipers are people who have more of an interest in having the very first shot hit the point of aim (they require precision AND accuracy). Therefore, I think that those people may be more interested in understanding and correcting for such effects as gyroscopic drift and Coreolis drift.  Of course, it may not be worth it to carry around the flushing toilet that’s required to measure the strength of the Coriolis effect that day…
Regardless of how the effects add or subtract from each other, these effects are ‘knowable’, and therefore correctable by anyone who understands and accounts for them.  To my knowledge, there are no commercial ballistics programs (affordable to the average shooter) that calculate gyroscopic drift. It depends on a number of aerodynamic coefficients that are not easy to calculate. However, the good news is that gyroscopic drift is relatively constant for a wide range of small arms calibers and flat fire (less than 10 degrees) trajectories. You can count on no more than 10 to 12 inches at 1000 yards.
             As for Coriolis acceleration, you can look that up in physics books, or ballistics books like Modern Exterior Ballistics.
             I have an idea for how one might alleviate some of the hassle caused by gyroscopic and Coriolis drift.  Since most of us live in the Northern Hemisphere, and most of us use right twist barrels, we suffer the unfortunate consequence that the gyroscopic drift, and the lateral component of the Coriolis drift compound each other.  Most of us probably have at least 1 MOA of drift to deal with on our sights between short and long range wind zeros.  I haven’t done the math on this yet, but it seems that you ought to be able to figure out the correct degree of ‘cant’ at which to mount your scope, that will counteract the effects of drift.  The angle should be very small, as to be indiscernible by the shooter.  I doubt you would get it to work out perfectly for all ranges, but you might be able to get it ‘good enough’.  This practice can also be applied to iron sights by mounting your level at a small angle to level.  Some day I’ll have to do the math on that one.

END QUOTE.

Obviously written before the advent of PDA run portable ballistic programs which DO account for spin drift and Coriolis effect.
Big Grin

Posts: 128 | Registered: 17 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted:
QUOTE:

What are the consequences?

The "effect" is that some people rely on techology instead of developing their own skills. Then someday when TSHTF, they are SOL because they don't have those skills and the technology is not working for them, or is broken, temporarily lost, or just plain absent.

Any long range shooter worth his salt has a couple of "dope books"...one on paper which he seldom uses except to study and learn from when NOT actually shooting, and one in his head. He does not complicate his shooting by worrying about various "effects". He already knows that at "X" range his center zero is "Y" minutes of windage and "N" minutes of elevation. He also knows how much to hold off (what the sight picture should look like in order to hit his target), though at long range it is more effective to adjust your sight(s) if you have the time.

There are already plenty of scopes which will tell him the range, so he doesn't need a PDA and a bunch of programs which still don't (and can't) allow for all sorts of things his brain WILL see and allow for, if he teaches it to and practices doing it.

Anyway, you can lead either end of a horse to knowledge, but you can't make it think. So I will concede anyone the right to believe my approach poor, or even pathetic in its primitive and out-dated ignorance.

On the other hand, I will continue to feel sorry for people who have to rely on machines to tell them what isn't even necessary if they have learned from their years of shooting experiences.

Shooting is a relatively simple sport, but it takes lots of disciplined practice to become self-sufficiently expert at it. But like anything else, one can make it as complex as they want. They don't need to, but they can.

So, I'll just leave it at that and let everyone do it however they want....not that I could or would prevent that anyhow.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Hi Alberta,

I am very glad to have your thoughtful and informative posts on the matter. I am a little distressed to hear that you seem to believe that anyone here would be so foolish as to discount anything you say "primitive" or "pathetic. I certainly apologise if I gave that impression in any way in my posts; but don't think anyone is saying that at all.

I posted the hiding behind the couch smiley because I couldn't argue with the substance of your post and considered myself roundly castigated in the finest traditions of long-time target shooters to cocky beginners! hilbily

It's not the first time it's happened, you see... hilbily

To get back to the topic I think we are not too far apart at all, I use my PDA like you use your paper dope book.

A PDA can't tell you add a minute of up with peep sights at 1000 if the sun comes up behind you, but equally a dope book wouldn't alert you to the need to add a minute of windage for the Coriolis effect at 100 unless you'd shot that range enough to gather the data before.

But in the final analysis you are right, nothing beats a lifetime of disciplined experience.

It's just that newbies like me need all the help we can get at this stage.

Best,

Amir

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it's been a really interesting thread. BH named it reading the wind and included Speedy's spin drift chart.

You can't argue that spin drift and Coriolis effect aren't there.

I think the reason we don't think they are significant and some don't factor them in is that:

1. Wind has a much greater influence on bullet impact.

2. Most here don't shoot at distances where it makes a difference.

3. No one in this discussion has shot in an absolutely "no wind" situation or a vacuum and has observed it

Obviously BH accounts for spin drift or he wouldn't have brought it up. I have had some interesting reads from the searches I've done on the subject.

Did you know that Coriolis effects the wind itself?

Hathcock zeroed his rifle at the range he made his kill thereby nullifying spin drift and Coriolis.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a couple of screenshots from BulletFlight. I set wind to zero; a perfect no wind situation; a vacuum. Note the inputs at the top of the screenshot.

This is with the spin drift and Coriolis effect considered. Bullet will impact .8MOA right if not corrected at 1000. Heading set to 0 or firing north

This is with only spin drift considered. Bullet will impact .6 MOA right at 1000 if not corrected.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Do you really believe that all bullets are effected by spin drift? I shoot far enough and I don't see it nor do I correct for it, niether does Exball

No where does the Marine training for snipers talk about nor account for spin dirft.

Frank )Lowlight) owner of Snipers Hide web site and a former Marine sniper doesn't account for spindrift and that includes first round hits at 1 mile

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes.
quote:
I think the reason we don't think they are significant and some don't factor them in is that:

1. Wind has a much greater influence on bullet impact.

2. Most here don't shoot at distances where it makes a difference.

3. No one in this discussion has shot in an absolutely "no wind" situation or a vacuum and has observed it

It seems you are shooting just fine without accounting for it so do what works for you. Wind is a much more important factor. How do you know your scope isn't so very slightly canted in the rings so it accounts for it?

How do you mount your scopes?

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
I have a US Optics rail mounted level on the rifle and I plumb the reticle to the level

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
John---it is a stone cold fact that spin drift does exist.

When you set world records for accuracy and have worked with people at Aberdeen and at Picatinny Arsenal for as long as Speedy has plus the skins on the wall being a HOF shooter the folks qualifications at the “Hide” kind of pale in comparison when talking about BR accuracy.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
I have a US Optics rail mounted level on the rifle and I plumb the reticle to the level

Here's something that you may be interested in. My gunsmith has built a precision scope mounting jig. Very few people, including manufacturers, have gone to the trouble he has designing and building the device. He has a 10 foot board that is marked with a vertical line, laser leveled, marked in MOA and MIL accurately for the distance it is away from the precision scope jig. The method is the most precise there is and eliminates the scope from being canted in the rings even so slightly that it cannot be detected without it.

Your scope most likely is not mounted as precisely and is probably turned in the rings.

quote:
Precision Scope Mounting: By, Charley Robertson

Long range rifle shooting is more popular than ever. This is evident by the growing number of products marketed specifically for long range shooting. Today every scope manufacture has a product line of long range scopes enabling the average rifleman to accomplish what only a few years ago could only be accomplished by a few very elite, highly trained individuals with equipment so expensive only a government agency could afford to posses it. These scopes, fitted with target knobs and ranging reticules can only be an asset to your rifle if they are properly mounted. Mounting a long range tactical scope sounds on the surface to be an easy enough task but in reality nothing can be further from the truth. Having built hundreds of custom rifles and mounted thousands of scopes. I did not give the job enough serious analytical attention until I started shooting long range tactical matches and building long range tactical rifles for some of the countries top shooters. While shooting at various matches, I noticed several inconsistencies among very talented shooters. A typical conversation between three competitors all shooting 308s at 800 yards might go as follows:

"Man there must be more wind out there than I can see. I held ¾ MIL right and I still hit left.

"No kidding? I only held ½ a MIL right. I hit, but it was almost too much."

"Really, I held right on and smacked them all right in the middle."

How can three talented shooters have such a wide range of results? I thought it was condition changes that occur from shooter to shooter that could not be seen. Or maybe its the way each scope is set up on the rifle. What if the scope is mounted on a rifle in such a way that the vertical cross hair is not in perfect plumb to the rifle? Or a problem even harder to detect, what if when turning the target knobs to dial in the correct amount of elevation, the center of the cross hairs moving up and down are not exactly perfectly plumb? How far off do things have to be before it matters? This concept of keeping everything perfectly straight is not new, I’ve been doing that for years. I vise up on a rifle and place a good Starrett bench level on the receiver rails and make sure the cross hairs follow a line I have drawn on my shop wall. I needed these questions answered, so on a no wind day (for New Mexico that is a 3 to 5 mph wind) I experimented. I had two rifles chambered for the new 6.5 Creedmoor. Our shop built both rifles and they were identical set ups both having their scopes mounted in the conventional manner. There was a minor difference between the two in that one had a Leupold Mark 4, 6.5x20 FFP with a TMR reticule and the other had a Leupold Mark 4, 8.5x25 FFP with a TMR reticule. Both rifles had a good 100 yard zero. Shooting at a 12"x10" steel plate at 755 yards with a 3 mph wind from 3 o’clock, using a center hold, The shot from the first rifle hit just off of the left edge exactly where it should have and the shot from the second rifle hit ¾ of a mil to the right. At the range, I loosened the rings and rotated the scope on the rifle that was shooting too far right, so minutely that it was almost imperceptible in fact I wasn’t sure I even rotated it. Shooting again at 755 yards the point of impact moved about ½ a MIL left just off of the right edge. With a 3 mph wind from 3 o’clock using a center hold, it should have been just off of the left edge. I rotated the scope again in the same direction, and it moved another ¾ MIL in the same direction. Now it is shooting too far left. The other rifle that I left alone did not change point of impact proving that conditions were consistent. Simple fact, scope mounting matters, a lot! My next question was how can I make sure I attain the "perfect scope mounting job". I can’t take every long rang rifle to the shooting range and mount and remount scopes until everything works right. I MUST have a reliable method to perfectly mount a scope in the shop and know without question that it will function 100% correctly in the field. I set fourth to design and implement a system that would do just that.

The new system must secure the barreled action with the scope mounted in such a way that the centerline of the scope and the centerline of the rifle’s bore are both exactly in the same vertical plain. Then, dial the elevation knob through it’s entire range while looking through the scope making sure the cross hair’s center never leaves a perfectly vertical plumb line. Rigidity is the key. It is absolutely imperative that operating the target turrets over and over again causes no detectable movement in the assembly. To make a long story short, we designed a carriage assembly very similar to that of a rail gun. That carriage rigidly holds the barreled action and scope perfectly plumb enabling the operator to simultaneously operate the elevation turret through its complete range and view its movement over the perfectly plumb line. I obtained a perfectly plumb vertical line using a laser level on my neighbors building 35 yards from the shop. This eventually evolved into a grid with MOA and MIL marks accurately drawn on it so that scopes could be evaluated as far as their true movements but that is another story.

Using the new system the scope on the problem rifle was rotated in the rings so that it accurately tracked on the laser line. Another trip to the range. I use a software program on a PDA called Field Firing Solutions from www.precisionworkbench.com . After verifying a 100 yard zero the target at 755 yards was engaged. With a 7 mph wind from 135 degrees my software called for and I dialed in, 17 ¾ MOA of elevation and a hold of .4 MIL right. I got a center hit with both rifles. This was a great success.

Conclusion:

I have always taken great care mounting scopes. The techniques I had been using were perfectly correct in theory. I simply wasn’t getting the degree of accuracy required. Originally both rifles went through the same process. I got lucky on one, not so lucky on the other. The difference between right and wrong was unperceivable using our old system in the shop environment. I could not get satisfactory results until I built a very elaborate fixture that could rigidly hold a barreled action with the scope mounted in such a way that the vertical centerline of the bore and the vertical centerline of the scope had no more variation than one thousandth (.001) of an inch in six inches.

Some rifles are just good shooters and they make it easy for a good shooter to shine. The performance of some rifles defies logic, and makes it impossible for the shooter to excel. The shooter questions their ability to dope wind. They get frustrated and filled with self doubt when in reality they might just need to have their scope properly mounted.

###

By the way, Speedy accounts for spin drift, Boss Hoss does and so do military snipers.

quote:
BulletFlight 3.1 is the Military version. This app is currently in combat use by military snipers in Iraq and Afghanistan.

BulletFlight Military Version
BulletFlight Level-M (Military) version further adds the ability to calculate an actual BC based on bullet drop, two velocities, or flight time. The ability to calculate bullet stability. Bullet spin drift is added to the computation, and the Coriolis effect (Earth’s rotation)

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Hoss:
John---it is a stone cold fact that spin drift does exist.

When you set world records for accuracy and have worked with people at Aberdeen and at Picatinny Arsenal for as long as Speedy has plus the skins on the wall being a HOF shooter the folks qualifications at the “Hide” kind of pale in comparison when talking about BR accuracy.

First off I said that it did not exist, but there are for more impartant factors IME.
Again I am not a compition shooter, I am a hunter. Shawn Carlock and several other that I know donot adjust for spin drift with the 300 SMK and they have made kills out to 1900 yards.

Gereald Perry maker of Exball believes that Spin drift is bullet dependant.

I just know my results and that of others and the fact is that some adjust for spin drift constantly and others do not.

If I have a problem missing right then I will record that and enter it into the spin drift function on Exbal, so far that is not the case

- Winston Churchill