THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Would like some opinions on caliber choice

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would like some opinions on caliber choice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First Hello all

I just joined. I figured I would ask the group what the general thought the two calibers I am trying to decide on for a 600yd, 1000yd target and hunting rifle.

Currently I am shooting a 300wm. I usually load 190 berger vld hunters and 208 amax. it has a #7 shilen select match tube, Boyd thumbhole stock, and a jewell trigger about pound break. Its all on a MRC 1999 Magnum action. Ive had it for about 5 years now. I'm thinking its time to try something else.

I have two in mind, either a 300 rum, or 338rum. I have read up on them, to me they both look like excellent choices. Im kinda leaning towards the 338 because the 300 rum looks like a hot load version of what I already have. Or am I wrong???

Posts: 63 | Location: ND | Registered: 02 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
First of all welcome! Good to have you abord--I have enjoyed this site for over 7 years and it is still fun to get on and talk.

If I were to go bigger--go 338 RUM, or the 338 Lapua if I really wanted to spend money.

Smaller I'd look at 6.5x284 I really love mine--also the 6.5 creedmor is getting some good press. I really love to shoot my litte 6mm and 6.5mm. They make me want to shoot more??

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
If you go big, go .338 Lapua. If you go small, go 6.5; 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5 Creedmor, 260 Rem.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I would actually advise something like a 6.5 SAUM or 7-300 WSM. Not nearly the recoil and would easily kill deer out to 1k and be more fun to shoot at targets.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok I appreciate it everybody

I will probably go the 338rum, my action will take a ultra, its not big enough for the lapua.

As for the 6.5 calibers I have tried many bullets in my go to hunting rifle a 264wm. I am very dissapointed in bullet performance. I used the accubonds, ballistic tips, and sst's. I havent tried the barnes x bullets. They will not hold together, and seem to deflect very easily. Im not totally confident in that caliber yet.

Posts: 63 | Location: ND | Registered: 02 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will look at the 7-300 wsm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your action is long enough to feed a RUM through the mag, and if you were to chamber it to a 300 WSM, you would have room to seat your bullets in proximity to the lands (an accuracy consideration) and still have your loaded rounds work through the mag. Just a thought.

Posts: 265 | Registered: 02 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at the measurements between a laupa and a RUM. If you can't chamber a laupa I don't think you can chamber a RUM. I don't have my books handy so just check and see.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Going to the RUM case will take some modification to the action/magazine box for feeding and possibly to the length of the mag box. Converting to the 338 Lapua will require some additional work. MRC can advise you on the action modifications. You might find going slightly faster with the twist shooting a 220+ bullet and increasing the barrel length to 32-34" will allow you to stay with your present caliber and give up nothing to the larger cartridges.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep mdvjrp93, I checked it over the lapua has a .588 case head dia, with a 3.681 oal. The rum's are .534 dia with a 3.600 oal. My bolt will accept the rum's dia and mag will take the 3.600 .

DuaneinND is there anyway to make my action take a longer round? I already talked to mrc a they tell me that the action I have will accept a up to 3.650" round. I loaded a dummy at that length, it toploads good. Im not sure on the round feeding, I will just leave that to the gunsmith.
Where can a person get some 220+ gr bullets

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DuaneinND I got to thinking I really like my 300wm , maybe I will just rebarrel and see how it goes. Plus I have all the goodies for it.

I was looking around for some pics of rifles with a 30-34" straight tapered barrel 1" at the muzzle. Any suggestions?

one of us
posted Hide Post
300RUM with Nosler Accubonds using Retumbo.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your sins, the other for your freedom...."

Posts: 426 | Location: Yakima, Washington, USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post