New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 LR Long-Ranging Anyone?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody plinkin' away at LR with their 22's? If so give us some details/pics. I use a .1 BC @ 1100 for this rig--a Magnum Research Picuda/Horus Vision Predator optic, which nets me ~130 MOA with reticle and turret maximized using Burris Pos-Align rings shimmed with credit card--

Here's moms 600-yd. coffee can connection in less than 20 shots--

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! How fun is that? I know such accomplishments are theoretically possible . . . but to actually do it? Wow!

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:
I'm not going to elaborate because it sounds outlandish, but growing up in prairie dog infested areas with nothing but a bolt action .22 and my allowance being a brick of .22s a month, I've Killed prairie dogs that far away with mine and a few little further.

I love long ranging with a .22!!! Thanks for sharing.

Todd

Beware of the man with just one rifle, he most likely knows how to use it.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting Todd. Several guys are really getting into it now over at specialty pistol website. We're gonna be trying for the "world record" "pistol-shot" prairie dog this year at a long-range handgun shoot we do every year in WY, in June. It really is a kick to know that some optics wen set up for it can reference >100 MOA. It's quite the kick to see the occasional 1st shot connection at super long ranges. Here's a video I did of a 1st shot at 300 yds. on a coke can with a Ruger MK III and 2X Barska at 50 MOA UP from 50-yd. zero. Man it was fun--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whC3fwmOk5c

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a dedicated 22L AR15A2 Service Rifle upper to replicate 600 yard High Power full course at 200 yds- roughly the same wind doping required using 80 grn VLDs at 600. It was a program to practice at home using less expensive 22LR match ammo, now, I can reload 223 full course ammo as cheaply, and with more availability of components than decent 22LR ammo.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like tons of fun to me.
When I got my first pistol, decades ago, I was told by everyone how they wouldn't hit anything and certainly not at distance. (mine was nothing that fancy and not that distance)
Within the first week of ownership of a handgun, I discovered they were wrong!
Keep up the good work and thanks for the post.
Zeke

Posts: 2270 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HPMaster:
I use a dedicated 22L AR15A2 Service Rifle upper to replicate 600 yard High Power full course at 200 yds- roughly the same wind doping required using 80 grn VLDs at 600. It was a program to practice at home using less expensive 22LR match ammo, now, I can reload 223 full course ammo as cheaply, and with more availability of components than decent 22LR ammo.

I do this a lot with various calibers. My .308 has the same wind drift at 500 yards, for example, as my .300 RUMs. A .223 duplicates a lot of larger centerfire rounds around 300 yards.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sscoyote:
Thanks for posting Todd. Several guys are really getting into it now over at specialty pistol website. We're gonna be trying for the "world record" "pistol-shot" prairie dog this year at a long-range handgun shoot we do every year in WY, in June. It really is a kick to know that some optics wen set up for it can reference >100 MOA. It's quite the kick to see the occasional 1st shot connection at super long ranges. Here's a video I did of a 1st shot at 300 yds. on a coke can with a Ruger MK III and 2X Barska at 50 MOA UP from 50-yd. zero. Man it was fun--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whC3fwmOk5c

Well, if anyone can do it, it is you. You have made long range handgun shooting your life's work it seems!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the comments/info. Often wondered just how well those 22LR uppers shot out of an AR.

Hey John--thanks for the comment sir--been quite a fascinating journey using specialty pistols for shooting/hunting. Actually in the middle of a book on it, entitled, "Long-Range Shooting and Hunting With Specialty Pistols". Hope it turns out alright. Always look for your writings in TVHM. Usually the 1st articles I read.

Steve

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Very nice work on that Coke can with the crosswind!
Years ago I shot in a 200-yard .22 match. It was very educational. I managed to take second with my bull-barreled CZ against a guy shooting an Anschutz. The guy with the Winchester 52 and a lot of match experience took home the marbles.
Shooting all the way to 600 sounds like a gas.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16416 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not the same kinds of firearms abut still 22LR. Back probably 18-20 years ago there was several of us who liked to shoot BPC rifles at long range...and that was/is great fun as well as educational. One of the guys had the idea of using old single shot 22's set up similarly to our BPC rifles as regards sights. They used old Stevens, I think 44's, Low Walls....and I simply don't remember what some of the others had, never having been very familiar with the old quality 22 single shots. Anyway, using quality tang sights we set up a little range out to 400 yards. I went a couple times...invited because at that time I had the only laser range finder in the county..lol...and shot a few rounds. I was surprised and impressed at what could be done with the little cartridge. 'Course, after thinking about it, it is no different than any other long range shooting. I've been gone for about 15 years from that area...wonder if they're still shooting?

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HPMaster:

Hey HPM--what kinda' accuracy can be obtained from the AR 22 LR uppers using match barrels and ammo?

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from the range yesterday, and it was almost perfect conditions which allowed me to shoot a 6-shot group of 5" at 225 yds. with this Ruger Charger/Kidd-barreled/Horus Predator with 25% Bullz-Eye Pro "doubler"/Win Dynapoints. I used a Bushnell Grid Boresighter when setting up this rig at the house. The true zero along the grid is about 1/2 way (7 MOA) to the left of grid axis, and about 3 MOA up (14 MOA squares). I saw that I was about 6 MOA low with the addition of .015" plastic shim between the + 10 MOA Burris Pos-Align insert and scope body with the turret set at 5 MOA from bottoming out. Thought that would work OK with a 100-yd. zero, so I stuck with that setup. This rig actually shoots a bit better than the Picuda.....but it ain't as purty, darn it!!--

1st berm at the range is 115 yds, and picked a little shale rock out and was 4 MOA UP from 100-yd. zero, windage good. Cranked 2 MOA down (which nets me the 100-yd. zero I wanted), and now I have 3 MOA down left in turret--man that's cutting it close! Went straight to 225-yd.dope which called for 26 MOA. Shot at another shale rock a couple times and noted the avg. 225-yd true zero was 23 MOA. Went staright to steel and shot a 6-shot 5" group--thought that wasn't bad for Win. DP's. Went to 300 and used 47 MOA which was correct, and then shot a 4 MOA group for about 5 or 6 shots or about a foot-sized group in good conditions. Next time out will try some match stuff to see if it can be improved upon. This rig is now setup to net me 70 MOA turret/70 reticle useable which should also net me 550-600 according to dope. I adjusted mv to 1050, but I'm questioning that since the Picuda using same ammo gets me to 600 using the 1100 mv. 1050 calls for 160 MOA @ 600, but I know that's not right. Will see next time out. Anybody else got any more LR RF stories/pics be nice to see them.

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Long range .22 shooting can be fun, providing the wind is calm. No trick to keep them all on a 12" gong at 300 yd. with several different rifles.

OTOH, if there is any kind of fluctuating wind, hits at 300 yd. become much less certain, with hits just right and left the norm...

.22 BPCR is shot out to 200 m. Good shooters routinely hit 8-10 rams at 200m (~8" wide x 4"tall).

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post