Notify
Tools

Could he be right?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill G. in Oregon
posted
Please excuse my ignorance:

Some years ago I bought a custom Remington 1917 rechambered and rebarreled to a 458 Lott intending to use it for dangerous game some day. It seems to be a very nice, well put together gun.

This rifle has a very heavy barrel with a long weaver style rib. Rifle weighs at least 12 lbs.

The gunsmith who checked it out was convinced it was intended for long range shooting.

But would anyone use a 458 Lott for long range?

Could he be right?

Bill

---

Posts: 1783 | Registered: 21 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In that caliber, I would think that 200 yards would be considered "long Range". It will still do the job but the drop is just going to compound itself as velocity drops off.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
458 Lott is definitely NOT a long range cartridge. If the barrel is longer than 22", I would consider shortening it. 12 lbs is a bit heavy for carrying around. 10 lbs would be better.

Hippie redneck geezer

Posts: 209 | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
the 45-70 isnt any good for long rang work either it just so happend to kill american bison doing 1250fps out to 500 yards thats all so there is no possible way a scoped 458 lott shooting 2300 fps with a modern barrel could ever shoot as far as that my god .....learn to dia moa while in the field or just learn to be capped at 250-300 and live with it........ personaly id rather do or make moa adjustments in the field and hit my target to my self imposed 500-600 yard limit.

iv shot the 458 lott to 800 yards accuratly its the man behind the rilfe not the chamberi ...........

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as stretching it out that far, on Plains Game, that bullet will reach out and definitely touch something. And you're right, figuring out the moa and the clicks would be the key. Practical? Sights on the 45-70 usually were set up so that dialing in the long range wasn't that big a problem. Probably not the sight set up on the Lott. The use of rangefinders and shooting at distance to see what the actual drop is, is how I do it. I only have a 320 yard range and haven't even considered shooting the Lott to that distance. I have smaller caliber, faster, flatter shooting that will accomplish the long range stuff. I will have to put up a big target and measure the drop at 2 and 300 yards when I can get up the hill again. It'd be hell to see a monster Kudu at 300 yards and only have the Lott and have it sighted in at 50, not knowing where the bullet is going to fall.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of 56hawk
posted Hide Post
I could see using a 458 Lott for long range shooting. Looking at Barnes Bullets, the 500 grain TSX has a ballistic coefficient of .412 which isn't that far off a 180 grain 308 bullet at .453. Also at 350 yards the 458 still has more energy than the 30-06 has at the muzzle.

I've only shot my 458 Lott on a 100 yard range, but it's plenty accurate. With iron sights I've shot five shot groups under two inches with it.

Posts: 184 | Registered: 02 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have gotten in the habit of printing out small charts with moa adjustments for every 10 yards from 100-1000 yards with me and laminate them or iv also been known to carry a pda-blackberry ect with balistic software so i can punch in my values real time and get precise turrent ajustments. on the side or but stock of all rifles i normaly have the moa adjustments for 100-500 yards in 20 yards increments

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post