THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Best way of leveling crosshairs on a rifle?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way of leveling crosshairs on a rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
EXD !

EXD device is the best for me as it uses the center axis of bore and scope. Of course if bore is off center of the bbl outside diameter the thing will not work .. but then you have bigger problems.
Some of the other methods/ devices presume the scope cap is in line with the horizontal hair or flats on receiver are level or in alignment.

AZ, you are correct.. if rifle is canted bullet travels to left or right depending on cant direction.

Good shooting.

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a gunsmith for a sporting goods store, I install scopes and bases on a daily basis. "Congomike" hit the nail on the head. The "double bubble" method is the tried and true way to ensure a level reticle. Install the bases and lower ring segment. Get a cheap string level from the local import store for 2-3 bucks. Lay it across the top of one lower ring half. Level the rifle in a cradle or two V-blocks. Place the scope in the lower ring halves without disturbing the level. Depending on the scope, place the string level on the turret cap or the turret adjustment screw. Then level the scope. Snug one top ring half while keeping the scope level. The scope reticle and action are now on the same plane. Low tech but effective.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
I bought this the other week and used it to mount a NF 5.5x22 on my light weight sniper rifle. Works like a champ! One of the better purchases I've ever made.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by woods:
EXD device

put your rifle in a bench vise and when it reads level the scope axis and bore axis is aligned and the rifle is uncanted

aim it out the door at a distant horizontal and vertical object (4' level on fence, hanging rope with weight on end, edge of building, etc). Rotate scope in rings until level with distant object while EXD is level

Good time to install anti-cant device

so you can duplicate at the bench or in the field cause (regarding cant) nothing else matter except a level reticle when pulling the trigger

More info

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found that sitting a level on the bottom half of the scope ring is not a very accurate method. Put it on the back one and get it to read level then put it across the front ring and see what I mean.

Posts: 31 | Location: Western West Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
That is why the plumb bob works so good

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
That is why the plumb bob works so good

+1!

But then you can't spend money on tools(toys?).

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TDC:
I've found that sitting a level on the bottom half of the scope ring is not a very accurate method. Put it on the back one and get it to read level then put it across the front ring and see what I mean.

If your front and rear bases are not on the same plane then you have other problems to solve before leveling the cross-hairs! Of course you make sure all is square before engaging in the leveling process.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I use a couple of different ways, depending on what I can find laying around at the time.

I have an old old tasco boresighter with spuds, and that works well for getting the crosshairs perpendicular to the bore. Then for a while that disappeared so I made one out of brazing rod and and a plastic arbor. I have also used EnfieldSpares technique of keeping my eye back 16" or so and centering the lower crosshair. What works well is to put a strip of masking tape down and then carefully draw a thin line on the tape showing the center of the bore, then line it up that way. If I were getting paid by the job IMHO the fastest way to do a competent job is to use a collimater or something with a grid and an arbor that fits in the bore. (yeah I know you are not supposed to put things in the bore but a clean spud I do not think can cause any damage or wear).

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
I use a couple of different ways, depending on what I can find laying around at the time.

I have an old old tasco boresighter with spuds, and that works well for getting the crosshairs perpendicular to the bore.. .....

Mark hit on the objective!!!

OR - Saying it another way - Get the vertical cross hair to disect the bore! Even if you must cant the rifle when shooting.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I shoot an approximate five degree cant on my High Power prone rifles. When shooting with a scope, the crosshairs are plumb and level when the rifle is canted. As long as the scope is level for sighters, adjustments, and rounds for record, everything is fine.

But then I also roll the scope 90 degrees and use the windage adjustment for elevation and the elevation turret is on the left side and used for windage. It is tough being left handed.

Posts: 2950 | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
I have used the scope leveling levels from Midway USA, the Deadeye device, boresighters, etc.. My gunsmith showed me his EXD and said after 30 years of trying them all, it's all he'll ever use. I bought one and agree 100%. It's the best. Just buy an EXP and don't waste all the money I spent on others!

It aligns with the bore to ensure your scope adjustments will be straight horizontal and verticle when you sight in at the range or make range adjustments in the field.

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Set the crosshairs level with your target. Crosshair relationship with the bore of the rifle is not important.

Posts: 265 | Registered: 02 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gwahir:
Set the crosshairs level with your target. Crosshair relationship with the bore of the rifle is not important.

It is important if you want to use elevation clicks w/o moving the POA right and left!

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RaySendero:
quote:
Originally posted by gwahir:

It is important if you want to use elevation clicks w/o moving the POA right and left!

No it is not. As long as the crosshairs are plumb and level all of your adjustments work fine. Like I said above I shoot High Power rifle with a very noticeable cant. When we shoot a scoped match it is: Rifle canted-Scope level. I sight in at 100 yards basically like AAZ described. I use a 48" level and make certain a vertical line on the target is plumb and adjust elevation throughout the range of the scope. As long as the scope crosshairs are level it will follow the line even though the rifle is canted. Windage remains level also. Works out at a 1000 yards also.

Posts: 2950 | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post