New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Long Range Big Game Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend of mine built himself a new rifle to hunt big game at long range. He recruited me to develop a load.

I know what you're thinking! "Great! A fast twist .243 Winchester for use on big game at 800!"....NOT

jumping

It's a chambering for which printed data is not found and no data exists at any powder or bullet manufacturer. I really had fun using what I've learned along the way to develop the load. Good information on Snipershide.com with a few guys forging the way.

The .338 Norma Magnum

I've loaded for the .338 Lapua Magnum so I had some experience with a case and caliber of this size. I like the Norma configuration better, being a short, fat case with the capability of reaching closer to the rifling at magazine length than the Lapua. The Norma has about 6 grains less capacity. I thought about using T-870 (H-870) and loaded a ladder with the 250 grain Nosler Accubond up to 98 grains. The case was 100% full. I got good accuracy nodes visible at 600 yards but the recorded velocities were anemic at about 2650 fps. The powder's burn rate was too slow.

I then loaded an Audette's Ladder with Ramshot Magnum, shot it at 600 yards. Here are the results:

Norma case, new
Ramshot Magnum from 90 to 97.5 grains
250 grain Accubond (BC .575)
WLRM primer
COAL 3.575" which is .030" off the rifling

Audette shot at 600 yards, slight L ---> R wind at times.
Velocity ranged from 2850 to 3020 at the top end.
No ejector plunger marks even at 97.5 grains and 3020 fps

Good accuracy node at 92.5 to 94 grains at around 2900 fps
About 1.5" of vertical for the 4 shot accuracy node.

According to Quickload, I could have gone up a couple of more grains

Here's the result of shooting the loads in the node at 100 yards

In one of the target stands in the pits, a mamma dove decided to build her nest in the counterweight. She's laid eggs and has been sitting on them for some weeks now. She always flys off as you approach and acts hurt to draw any predators away from her nest. Well on this day, this is what I found:

Big Grin

Posts: 128 | Registered: 17 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 tu2

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am building a new .338 Edge on a Stiller action and Lilja barrel.

One thing you can do when shooting paper at long is get different colored markers and color you bullets. Each bullet hole will have that color around it. I like shooting rocks for wind practice for the instant feedback, but this is a good way as well, as long as you note the shot details, etc. It also works when shooting different loads.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Rick

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks ted.

Hey AZ! I've read about the colored marker deal on 6mmbr and from GSSP but haven't tried it. With the ladders I've been shooting at 600 even with the 6.5mm bullets I've been able to see the holes with my spotting scope.

The .338" holes were huge!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey jwp, I'm thinking if I had done any case prep whatsoever this group could have been a smaller hole than it already is.
Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
That group will never ever cause a miss on an animal

Good shooting........ tu2

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Rick,

First off. WELCOME BACK!!!! It's great to see someone who know's how to develop a LR load post their results here.

Now, go load up .1 or .2 increments in 5-shot snacks, color code the ogives and go shoot one giant ladder @ 1000 yds; I'll be shocked if you can see .338 holes @ 1k. The charge with the least amount of vertical spread will more than likely be the cat's meow! Just like on Jason Baney's 6mmbr page.

Should look something like this.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Alan! I really appreciate it.

I know the marker test you shot was with your 6.5x47. The Norma has twice the capacity. Do you think that .5 grains in the Norma may be equivalent percentage-wise to the .2 grain increment and give accurate results?

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Rick,

I realize that .5 gr was what you used in your initial pressure ladder but @ 1000 yds you're looking for tiny changes. I just re-checked Baney's suggestions and for "Final Long-Range Ladder Testing" at 1k yds you'll want either .2 or maybe .3 gr increments.

What ever increments you use, good luck.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Once a load is setttled on adjusting seating depth can pay divendends

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
Once a load is setttled on adjusting seating depth can pay divendends

Absolutely!

1. Start with a seating depth
2. Run a pressure/powder ladder at the farthest distance you can
3. Settle on a node
4. Refine that node by tweaking/testing seating depth and which primer version (two separate steps!)
5. Finally, the 1000 yd Nth degree powder charge tweaking.

In a "nut shell".

Alan

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Also as cases are fired and resized for loading a "doughnut" will form at the case neck shoulder junction that causes uneven case neck tension. In-order to allieviate this condition many will neck turn, not wanting to spend the time to neck turn I set my rifles up to allow seating the bullet outlonger so that the boatail is located at the neck shoulder junction thus no contact with the "doughnut"

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
Also as cases are fired and resized for loading a "doughnut" will form at the case neck shoulder junction that causes uneven case neck tension. In-order to allieviate this condition many will neck turn, not wanting to spend the time to neck turn I set my rifles up to allow seating the bullet outlonger so that the boatail is located at the neck shoulder junction thus no contact with the "doughnut"

Yep!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the Terminal Bullet Performance thread under Big Bores. Michael, et al. have developed a DG solid (#13) and what is called a NonCon. Lately pointed inserts are extending the range of the NonCons. Further there have been some experiments with a 223 in both solids and NonCons. Coming down the road are 338 bullets. Also check the Cutting Edge Bullets site for DG bullets to get an idea of the principles envolved.

late update: CEB has decided to make the BBW#13 NonCon in all standard small bore calibers.

Posts: 404 | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post