Find
Notify
Tools

270 Weatherby Mark V
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
Hi I have a vintage Mark V in 270 Weatherby I picked up relatively cheaply ($800) on gunbroker. With Weatherby factory ammo (the factory ammo was cheaper than buying umprimed Weatherby brass) I can hit the scuba tank on the Fort Carson range (840 yards) reliably (if I miss it, it's my fault). So I'm thinking this rifle might be able to form the basis of a good long range rig, primarily for target shooting but maybe for an occasional mule deer / antelope hunt.

I was thinking of buying a match grade heavier contour barrel, having the action trued, then pillar bedded, barrel free floated and put in a synthetic stock by Kevin Weaver.

Or should I just work up some good handloads and shoot it as is?

Thanks!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck, the 270 Wby is one of my favorites. I'd do groups on paper at 100 yards to see what the rifle can do...hitting gongs and such really doesn't give you a good read on accuracy. If you plan on being accurate at great distance, you need to get down around 1/2" MOA, which would be about 4" groups at 800 yards not accounting for wind.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks Biebs, I'll do that. If it works as is, no sense changing it. It shoots about 1.25" MOA with factory ammo. I should be able to do much better with handloads.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After ammunition trials, try turning the action screws to 50 in/lbs. Next would be a new crown, then bedding after that. Those are relatively cheap improvements.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 270 Wea in their ultra light MK V about 8-9 years ago. I mounted a Swar. AV 4X12X50 on the rifle and thought I had the ultimate walkabout open country rifle. That is until I shot it. I could not get it to group under 5" @ 100 yards. Probably the worst rifle I ever owned except a Ruger 77; 7MM Mauser which was about as accurate.
I tried every handload under the sun; bullets, powder, primers, bullet seating depth and after a while I just threw it in the safe.
Every now and then I would take it out and mess with it again to no avail. Even tried trading scopes but no solution.
I sent it to a authorized local Wea. dealer (a
bunch of boobs) that said it was fine.
I just could not give up on the gun because of the potential in such a light package so I called Weatherby and ask them to look at it personally.
They agreed and sent it back to me in about a month.
They told me as mentioned above to keep the bedding screws torqued to a specific spec and suggested I try 130 Gr TSX bullets in my loads.
I went to the bench and loaded some 130 TTSX's ahead of 72.5 gr of RL22 with a Federal 215 primer. I put a slight crimp into the TTSX second cannelure.
I put 5 shots @85F into 1/2" @ 100 yards and my Ohler Chrono logged a high of 3430FPS and a low of 3410 FPS.
I was astonished this was the same rifle!!!
I am going to try some of the new LRX 129 gr in the bugger as soon as I can get my hands on some.
Just love the gun now when I was prepared to write it off a just a few years back.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Fingers crossed.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
I bought a 270 Wea in their ultra light MK V about 8-9 years ago. I mounted a Swar. AV 4X12X50 on the rifle and thought I had the ultimate walkabout open country rifle. That is until I shot it. I could not get it to group under 5" @ 100 yards. Probably the worst rifle I ever owned except a Ruger 77; 7MM Mauser which was about as accurate.
I tried every handload under the sun; bullets, powder, primers, bullet seating depth and after a while I just threw it in the safe.
Every now and then I would take it out and mess with it again to no avail. Even tried trading scopes but no solution.
I just could not give up on the gun because of the potential in such a light package so I called Weatherby and ask them to look at it personally.
They told me as mentioned above to keep the bedding screws torqued to a specific spec They told me as mentioned above to keep the bedding screws torqued to a specific spec and suggested I try 130 Gr TSX bullets in my loads.
I went to the bench and loaded some 130 TTSX's ahead of 72.5 gr of RL22 with a Federal 215 primer. I put a slight crimp into the TTSX second cannelure.
I put 5 shots @85F into 1/2" @ 100 yards and my Ohler Chrono logged a high of 3430FPS and a low of 3410 FPS.
I am going to try some of the new LRX 129 gr in the bugger as soon as I can get my hands on some.
Just love the gun now when I was prepared to write it off a just a few years back.

EZ

What did they tell you to torque the screws to?

Thanks

Posts: 36 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Weatherby rifles have always been VERY responsive to action screw torque. I remember reading a review by one of the gunwriters on a 300 Wby Accumark. He couldn't get it to shoot worth a damn, then noticed that the action screws were impossibly tight, after loosening and re-tightening them by hand, the rifle shot 1/2 MOA.

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I would probably glass bed instead of just pillar bed but that is just me. Definitely float the barrel.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a 270 weatherby on an old mod 70 -great long range rifle. biebs however is no doube referring Whistling to screwing around on some weird blaser contraption not known to riflemen Big Grin hilbily

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not recall it was about 3 years ago. I would just drop a note to Weatherby (E-mail) or call them.They will tell you.
quote:
Originally posted by markopolo50:
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
They told me as mentioned above to keep the bedding screws torqued to a specific spec They told me as mentioned above to keep the bedding screws torqued to a specific spec and suggested I try 130 Gr TSX bullets in my loads.

EZ

What did they tell you to torque the screws to?

Thanks

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post